Red Dot Help

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by RMP1394-RLTW, Apr 4, 2012.

1. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

So I would like to get a red dot for my AR. All my experience is with Aimpoint COMP M4's from the military. I know I will be castrated by my wife if I drop that kind of coin on a red dot so that is out of the running.

I was hoping that my Leatherwood CRM would be as fast as a red dot but it is not. I am selling that to my dad cheap with the stipulation that I get to use it for hunting season until I can complete my 6.8 build.

So I hear a lot of good talk about the Primary Arms optics and I am leaning that way. My question is which one. I would like as small a dot as possible and it looks like the micro has a 3 MOA dot. Is the only advantage to the micro the size and weight?

I started the build with bench shooting and close range hunting being the primary use but now that I have it, I realize that I really miss the practical shooting that I did in the military. So now I am basically stripping all of the weight and size off of the AR and making as light and manuverable as possible with out spending an arm and a leg to get there. I get the feeling that by the time I am done I would have been able to just build another!

I am open to other makes and models and even spending a bit more if needed, just as long as the extra expense is worth it in the long run.

I would like to be able to reach out to 300 yds with the red dot but to also be fast and accurate up close. I shoot about 200 rounds per trip to the range and usually go 2-3 times a month. I am sure that once I get the red dot I will be shooting more at each trip.

Thanks in advance!

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Stick with the military Aimpoint.

Old Italian proverb:
    "Cheapa U buy, cheapa U get." :p

Why waste good money on third rate products that fail when you need them.

3. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

Normally I would agree with you but I am not kicking doors or jumping out of airplanes or helicopters anymore! I guess what I am looking for is not third rate but I cant justify 1st rate for the use it will get. Believe me, if I had the money to get it that would definately be ther route I would go!

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Hrm..........what will you do with all the leftover parts from your first build......I wonder......

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

My primary arms M4 is built pretty rugger and like a tank. I had a couple PA Micros ,one lost zero but was replaces under warranty quickly and without any fuss. Marshal has been hinting at a new model coming up...id keep my eyes peeled for that one.

6. locutus

A man's gotta do what he's gotta do.:)

Good luck with your red dot.:p

But think serously about throwing $10 in the sock drawer every pay day, and 3 or 4 years down the road, getting an ACOG TA31F.:D

It took me quite a few years of saving, but I now have an ACOG on all three of my ARs.

It was worth the wait!:)

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Youch!!! Those buggers get the pucker factor going!!! Do they clean the gun for you? Glad you like them, but those are way out of my budget.

8. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

Check out lucid optics. I have no first hand experience with them but they seem to be getting good reviews. there is some good reviews on YouTube on them. Just a thought! They also make a 2x-5x magnifier that looks pretty sweet

9. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Just ordered the MD-07 from Primary Arms, with the riser for mine. Should have it in two days.

10. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

Thanks for the help gents! I kinda figured I would et more opinions though! Anyway, thanks for the replies!

Ryan...RLTW!

11. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Ryan, this would probably have gotten a lot more replies in the optics section than the AR, and I think those that viewed it and went off to another post felt that the answers provided were most suited for your usage.
    If we didn't answer your questions, then just let us know what other information you feel you need.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Bushnell TRS25. Very light with decent battery life and will let you keep some seed money for the expensive red dots. You will need a short 3/4" riser to co witness.

13. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Not to correct you, but would that be the .83"? I've heard good things on that RDS, too.

14. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

Excellent point! Sorry of I came off as whining, certainly not my intention. To be honest, I think the recommendations made were very sound ones. I suppose I was expecting this topic to be a very opinionated one and that is what I was looking for. I have very limited experience with red dots and I was hoping with this many members that others would have many suggestions to research.

Either way, thank you all for the recommendations!

Ryan...RLTW!

15. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Now, let me preface this with the caveat that I am one of the AR newbies here. Everything I state should be verified by one of the significantly more experienced members, who are easy to spot.
    With a limited budget, you will find that you'll get pretty similar responses. You start talking higher end, it's pretty much the same, Eotech and Trijon will be mentioned often.
    You can research as much as you want, which is strongly encouraged, but we're not going to recommend what reviewer X, Y or Z says, rather, what we've got experience with personally, as that is the marker that is used.
    I bought mine after reviewing several of the RDS's I've read about on here, and settled for one that was A) In stock, B) Priced within my budget and C) Met all my needs. Not in that order, but all weighed in on the decision.
    When I go play with it on Monday, Tuesday at the latest, I'll post a full range report on it.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I like my PA micro dot ,Priced right , no issues in almost 2000 rds , Im not my second battery because it sat in the safe turned on for 8 days on high :( , otherwise Im sure I would still be on the same battery . And if you do have a issue Marshall will take care of it .

17. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Got questions!! How long did it take you to zero it out? How do you like it's cowitness with it? I like it right now, but that's without any rounds out of it. Is it holding zero?

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a TRS25 and have gone to a 1-4x24 scope with a 1moa red dot. The TRS25 worked perfectly but I wanted some magnification and the scope seemed the easiest route. It would not take much to set it back up again if I needed to. I am not an AR expert either and some of the experts will look down on my DPMS but I am happy with it. It has not failed to go bang yet. I believe my riser is 3/4" and it co witnessed with the dot on top of the front post but I did not mic it. Mine has a 4 rail gas block and I was using folders with the RDS.

19. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

+1 for PA micro. Solid, great company, great optic that I would pay twice over for. It really held up, I went a little wild on it on my last shooting trip, came out working like a charm.

20. locutus

You're right. They are pricey. But how much is your life worth?:D

But my personal philosophy is that the optic should cost roughly the same as the rifle. So, if you spend $1100 on a Colt, I consider it reasonable to put a $1000-$1200 sight on it.

Over the years, my tastes have changed to fewer guns and optics, and higher quality guns and optics. Just my $.02:p