Red Dot for Ruger Mark IV

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Rifling82, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of red dot do you have on your Ruger Mark IV? (Or III, II etc)
    I’m thinking about putting one on mine but don’t know what I don’t know :p

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Purely my own feelings on this- I do not use a red dot sight on any gun I consider a target gun. Simply because the sight is too broad.

If I had a gun that I was using as a race gun of some sort- maybe. You can pick up that dot real fast. But for serious paper punching at any real distance, not so much.

If the dot itself in 5 mils, that would mean it appears 5 inches wide at 100 yards, or 2.5 inches at 50. If I am trying for an inch or less at 50, that is not the tool to get me there.

Any different opinions?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.

3. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Had one of the reflex sights on my MK3 took it off. The Beretta neos i just got came with a See all sight on it. That thing is really awkward. Its off too lol.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Most red for sights are at least 2-3"" moa or bigger at 100 yards. Typically they are designed for pistols, shotguns or shorter range targeting with a rifle.

SIG Romeo is just one manufacturer that has a 1 moa red dot. I imagine it would be a bit slower time to pick up with your eye, but reasonably accurate being a smaller dot.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. Rifling82

You guys say the size of the dot matters which I agree but that’s the same problem as the Ruger Mark IV Target sights.... the front blade is pretty wide in my opinion for precision shooting or trying to shoot tight groups at 15 to 20 yards

freefall likes this.
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

For $600, it better run downrange, hang the targets, run back and jump on the pistol by itself!

7. Rifling82

Lol, that’s what I was thinking

8. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Want to sell that SeeAll? I was thinking I'd like to try one one something. Don't remember what now, tho...

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. freefall

I find the front blade on my Mk I to be too wide. At 25 yds it's quite a bit wider than what I'm aiming at, so I have to try to center the target atop the blade. I tried adjusting the sight so I could line it up with the edge of the front sight, but that only works at that distance.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. PaBushMan

Yeah i was thing about selling it. How does 25.00 sound shipped?

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. freefall

Sounds perfectly cromulent. Send me a pm, I'll send a Money Order.

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. PaBushMan

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I tried the tube type and window type (Vortex Venom) red dots on my MK3 22-45 lite. I tried but was constantly hunting for the dot. They were 3 moa and a lot of steel shooters use 8 moa. I did find it helped if I turned the brightness way up. I put Williams fiber optics sights on my MK3. They are high enough to use with the suppressor. For target shooting with irons we used a 6 0'clock hold. I did think about trying a Holosun circle dot but then I would have to put the rail back on. I even tried a 2x pistol scope and that was worse. OK if you have a solid rest or something to brace against. I thought if I put it in quick release rings it would make a hunter. Anyone make a pistol brace for a Ruger 22-45? You would have to stay clear of the bolt.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  14. JTJ

OK I put the rail back on and tried a tube type Holosun 65 moa circle with 2 moa chevron. It was definitely easier to pick up. I also found it was easier to find if I raised the red dot up about 1/2":confused: so I put it on a QD base. It would take a lot of practice to get fast with it. While I was at it I put a 2x pistol scope in QD rings. I will try again next time I go to the range.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  15. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So, Are you red/green color blind? I ask, because I am, and the red dots are useless outside, unless the intensity is cranked way up. My brothers can use them set about six clicks lower intensity than I can.

I like the green dots better, but they are still iffy.

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. JTJ

I took the 22-45 to the range today and sighted in at 25 yards. It actually worked pretty well for a change. The circle is big enough to catch you eye. It would definitely take practice to get fast with it but it would work. Holosun has a 507 and 510 window type with circle dot which might be better on a pistol. I used what I had on hand. I also have on on my braced Charger and I can hold that a lot steadier. I really notice the wobble on the pistol. My wife even shot it and did pretty well. I let her shoot the Charger and she put all 15 rounds in the head of a 1/2 size silhouette at 10 yards. Show off. She liked the circle dot and she usually does not like red dots. I put a circle dot on the AR9 braced pistol for her. She said the red dot was easier to hold steady so I looked at her scope and it was set at 4x instead of 1x. A red dot would take a pound off of her 15-22. I may have to buy a couple more Sigs or Holosun red dots.
    The circle is 65 moa so at 10 yards it is 6.5" and 13" at 20 yards. Get a 10" steel disc inside the circle at 20 yards and it is a hit.

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. Rifling82

I ordered another upper for my Mark IV from Volquartsen today, I’m going to eventually mount a red dot on one and have open sights on the other

towboater likes this.