Red Dawn - literally!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by zhuk, Sep 22, 2009.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Woke up sneezing this morning at 4am...looked outside and the sky was RED. Sydney has been inundated by a massive dust storm from central NSW...well there goes what's left of the nation's topsoil, I thought lol

Sydney turns red: dust storm blankets city

ARJUN RAMACHANDRAN

September 23, 2009 - 8:14AM

[​IMG]

Sydneysiders have woken to a red haze unlike anything seen before by residents or weather experts, as the sun struggles to pierce a thick blanket of dust cloaking the city this morning.

Callers flooded talkback radio, others hit social networking sites and scores of emails were received from smh.com.au readers as Sydney residents expressed their amazement at this morning's conditions

"It's just red, red, red as far as you can see," one caller at the Anzac Bridge told 2GB.

The fiery haze was the result of the sun hitting the blanket of dust, Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Jane Golding said.

"The reason for the dust is we had some really strong winds in the inland areas of NSW and in South Australia for a sustained period yesterday," she said. "That's lifted a whole lot of dust off the ground because it's quite dry out there, many of those areas are still drought affected."

The lifted dust had been carried by the winds into Sydney.

"I've not seen anything like this before," Ms Golding said.

The reddish haze was expected to fade as the sun got higher in the sky, Ms Golding said. The haze had turned from a crimson red to orange by about 7am, and then faded to yellow by about 7.30am.

But it was not known what would happen to the dust.

"This is such an infrequent event ... it's hard to say when the dust will stop."

Dust Turns Sydney Sky Red

Photos I got about 4.30 am...quite eerie. The ones taken with flash really illuminate the airborne particles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

WOW! That's crazy, zhuk. Can you breathe the air without worrry?

3. zhuk

zhuk New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and at 7.30am

Estimated 4500 tonnes citywide in total!

4. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Well I've had all my windows shut since 4am, but I can still feel it in the back of my throat when I breathe...being double-hung wooden windows they aren't completely airtight. Must be bad if you suffer from asthma!

5. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Thats freaking awsome man! I wish we got stuff like that where Im at!:eek:

6. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Sydney morning herald photos:

[​IMG]
    Harbour Bridge barely there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Coogee beach

[​IMG]
    Opera House normal & now

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

It is way impressive, BigByrd!

Only thing is, you can't help but think that 'Oh no, that's all the soil that used to be our food bowl'...and Australia has some of the world's least fertile soils to start with :rolleyes: We need to hang onto what little we have!

Wouldn't be surprised if NZ's alps turn slightly orange...

[​IMG]
    there it goes :p

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

WOW That is beautiful and scary at the same time. Looks like Mars.

9. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

Good luck guys, the US had some very bad dust storms back in the 1930’s.

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Wow! Can you say respirator anyone?

11. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Yikes!

Been there, done that. Do you have any face masks? Dust and lungs don't mix well.

Stay safe, and enjoy the red scenery.

12. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Those are some amazing pictures, Zhuk, thanks for sharing!

Oh, and I'm sorry what little fertile soil you guys got left is flying away. :( You can always get some reasonably priced food from us in Argentina.

13. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Damn! And here I was, considering taking a walkabout in the Outback on my vacation Down Under. But then, with the bad turn my Mom is taking, I don't think I'll be going anywhere. Congestive heart failure and renal failure is not something the doctors can just whip up meds to fix. :(

14. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

The fires are STILL causing damage. Speaking of them, once the flames died down, the news coverage here stopped completely. What can you tell us of the investigations into them? The last I recall, one of the fires had been definitively pegged to a person, but damned if it didn't appear to be a coordinated attack. Boring details are welcome.

15. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Hey might have to take you up on that, Franciscomv. Our national wheat crop just failed for the 6th year in a row due to drought...hence bits of the countryside blowing away :p

Here's where it all started - way out west in Broken Hill (1,167 kms W of Sydney). What we had on the coast was NOTHING compared to this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrlD22HwPvI]YouTube - Broken Hill comes over pitch black during a dust storm[/ame]

My uncle on the land told me about a dust storm he lived through once...just like that video everything indoors was pitch black & all that could be seen was the faint glow of the filament from the ceiling light globe...

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Reminds me of the dust bowl.

17. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

We are in the red sky season here in southern California. But for us it's fires. Sunrise and sunsets are scary red, then the rest of the day just gray brown.

Good luck down there Zhuk

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Good luck Zhuk!

Nobody thought of that '80's movie "night of the comet"? In it, the red dust is composed of former people.

19. OC357

OC357 New Member

Wow, that is both beautiful and scary at the same time. I have not seen anything like it.
    Something like that should have made the news everywhere. Our POS news coverage here is very lacking, to put it in nice terms.

Hang in there Zhuk. I hope everything will turn out ok.

OC

20. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I wonder how serious health issues are there with all the risk of respiratory illnesses. Throw in H1N1 and their Hospitals could be screwed.