record keeping

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by TINCANBANDIT, Jan 22, 2014.

1. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

2. Beezer

Beezer New Member

I use Evernote. I drop in all the relevant information regarding each gun into a separate note. I can then attach photos of the gun to the note, along with numerous other items (PDF of owners manual, links to manufacturers website, recall notices, etc). I have a note for each gun in my "Gun" notebook.

I can then access Evernote from any internet connected computer, my phone, tablet....almost anywhere. If my house were to burn down, my records would not be lost.

It may not be the best way to document the collection, but it works pretty well for me.

I also keep my wish list in the "Gun" notebook. ;)

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I just use notepad to keep a record of the serial numbers and model of each gun. I scan all my receipts for the guns I purchased new. I save everything about my guns to a thumb drive we store away from our home.

The reason I use notepad is any computer will open a .txt file. Sheriffs departments and insurance companies might not have the software to open a file generated by a database program.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I use my gun db. I was involved in the beta testing. It has come a long way. If/when I get my ffl in nc I will continue to use it.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have a RAR file that I keep a txt doc in as well as a folder of pics of every gun I own with the serial. A copy of this RAR is kept on an external hard drive and a jump drive that I keep put up. I use RAR over ZIP mainly because they seem to corrupt less and can be fixed easier if they do somehow get corrupted. WINRAR is the program I use to manage the file type.

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I use a note book and I print out pics, I also keep the note book in a safe hidden away so that way. For my rifles I put a piece of paper somewhere in the gun with my name on it, pistols I usually scratch my intenitals some where hidden.

7. btf683

btf683 New Member

Any one know of a free app that will work for more than one firearm?

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My gun DB works fine on both iOS and Mac OS if you have either of those. Another member here also sent me a Database template that works well also...

9. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

You do what ?:eek:

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i keep no less than three different records of all my guns. two are paper copies with all the SN's and information, and the other is a flash drive with all the information plus pictures of all of them. i try and update them at least twice a year to account for any changes in my collection.