Recommendations for Mossberg 590 - Home Defense

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Curmudgeon10, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Curmudgeon10

Curmudgeon10 New Member

I own two firearms, but am basically a know nothing.

My Mossberg 590 12 gauge is now 20 years old --- only have fired it a few times, cleaned it regularly, but am now getting serious about setting up a home defense configuration in the house. The safe room will be behind two locked hollow core doors, with an intervening locked pocket door --- not exactly Fort Knox, but the theory is to just slow the crooks down, provide noise warning, and as they approach the second hollow core door, behind which we would be, provide a surprise through the door sufficient to knock one or more perps down/out of action.

What would be the best round for this situation? Range - close. Stopping power - Max.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

For defensive purposes I stick with buckshot. 00 or #1. Others will be along to recommend birdshot for indoor use. Up close birdshot stays together pretty close , but the individual pellets still lose energy pretty quick anday not penetrate to vital organs. Having an intervening wall will bleed off even more energy.

Tactically shooting through a door is not advised because you cannot be sure of your target.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Find some old discarded hollow-core doors, and conduct your own ballistics tests.

Just keep eyeing up a bunch of dumpsters and trash piles. Decide for yourself what

works best.

4. RKB

RKB Member

Shooting blindly through a door could pretty well eliminate your 'fear for my life' self defense plea in court. You may want to re-evaluate.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Figure if they already broke down your entry door, and are now

breaking their way thru a series of inner doors, they're not soliciting

for the handicapped...

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Security cameras with a battery back up would be a good idea along with a way to call 911 that does not depend on outside lines or house power.

7. RKB

RKB Member

He would still be shooting blindly at an unknown threat and a prosecutor could eat him up.
    +1 on security camera - AND a shotgun.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  8. JTJ

Also keep plenty of ear protection in that safe room. You are going to need it if you fire that shotgun through the door.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You're right, I can hear it now.

Prosecutor: Now can you tell the court, why is it that you thought

that something which had broken down your locked entry door,

in the middle of the night, and had then subsequently broken

through a second locked door was a threat to you?"

Defendant: Well NOW that you mention it, that's precisely what my

grandmother did, the last time she brought us milk and cookies! My

word, I am so sorry, what was I thinking?

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My concerns were more about actually hitting the target. If they are beating on the door, I'd like to know exactly where they are. I want to save $$ on the rounds I pump out and maintain some budget for the stove if I hit it.:)

11. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

Yep, ask Oscar "Blade Man" Pistorius. Thought he heard and "intruder" in the bathroom. Shot through the door and killed his live in girlfriend, that just happened to not be in bed next to him. In and out of court and currently waiting on his sentencing hearing.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, I guess I should start a "just killed a twat sponge, need to fix the

collateral damage" savings account.

Shotgun Joe should be able to give you precise aiming points on the door.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  13. JonM

JonM Moderator

birdshot is not effective unless you have solid muzzle contact. ask dick cheney's hunting buddy how good birdshot is... if big bird from sesame street is after you maybe bitdshot would be ok.

00buck is the most effective round ever devised for a 12ga for defensive purposes.

14. RKB

RKB Member

Therewolf - You have a lot more faith in our legal system and attorneys than I do.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Man, if an iota of faith in that system would take you around the world, I couldn't get across the yard...

16. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Member

I prefer #1 buck or a 2oz - 2 1/2 oz turkey load in #4-#5.

17. Werminator

Werminator Member

I personally keep 00 buck on hand for that purpose but I am concerned about pulling a 12 guage trigger in a confined space. Between going deaf and risking penetration into my son's room I would prefer to use the pistols I have by the bed. Works well because I carry all day long and my carry gun stays beside me at night..m

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I keep max load 2 & 3/4 in. #4`s in mine !...............

19. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I have a 590 teflon nickel finish It came with stock, and pistol grip, and sling.
    The pistol grip makes it hand but hard to control with high powder chareg buckshot load.
    In a home I would use small shot anyway, even number 9. At close range it would be a dense charge. A target would not get up from it.
    At longer range or a second wall it would be less dense and number nine individually would not penetrate more than two walls, maybe.
    there is no such thing as lethal safe load though.
    There are bean bags load savailable and flat lead and segments flat lead disc shotgun loads available.
    The bean bag load would let them live...and sue you.

20. JTJ

The smallest shot size that has sufficient penetration is BB. Personally I like #4 buck in 12 gauge and #3 buck in the 20 gauge both of which are usually available. I have quite a bit of 00. You can also do a mixed load with 2 #4 buck followed by 4 00 buck or even a slug. In a potentially lethal situation you dont want to be playing games. You want the threat stopped as quickly as possible with the least amount of shots fired. If you plan on shooting through a hollow core door you better plan on 00.