Recommendations for an all-purpose .223 bullet

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Shopfox, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Shopfox

Shopfox Active Member

I'm taking a bit of a minimalist approach with my reloading so far.

I'm looking for a bullet that will stabilize well in 1-9 and faster twist rates, primarily a hunting construction (rarely up to deer at 100 yards), and also (more often) for coyote/varmints. Single ragged hole accuracy is not essential, but realistically 99% of shots are at paper, so I dont want a super-premium priced bullet, and I don't want dirt cheap, chinese seconds (if such a thing exists...).

Leading contender for me is the 65gr Sierra Spitzer BT (#1395). Is there anything else I should be taking a hard look at?

Imurhuckleberry and Dallas53 like this.
  2. Greg_r

Greg_r Active Member

I don't think I could get by with only one bullet for my 223, but if I were to try, I would choose the 65 grain Sierra as well.

I use the 65 grain Sierra for deer and pigs, the 55 grain bought in bulk for general plinking. (The last I bought were 62 grain, it haven't shot any yet) and the 52 grain Speer hollow point for coyotes and groundhogs.

Imurhuckleberry and Dallas53 like this.

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Find what weight of bullet shoots good in your rifle, then pick a particular bullet in that weight.

Imurhuckleberry, SRK97 and Dallas53 like this.
  4. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

62 gr Federal fusion.

SRK97 likes this.
  5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

55 grain FMJBT (M193), or Speer 55 grain SPBT.

Alaskan and Dallas53 like this.
  6. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

personally i'm partial to Hornady and Speer bullets for my handloads.

but as Mr. Primer said, if you find a particular weight bullet that works well, i would use that as reference point on what to look for in bullet weights to try. and bullets like handloads, are going to differ from one firearm to the next. so a bullet that works well and is accurate in my rifle may be perform poorly in yours.

but, usually any of the name brand bullet manufacturers will have something that will end up working well and accurately for your needs. it's just an area where you are going to have to experiment with. for a hunting bullet, i would just use whatever weight and type that gave acceptable accuracy for your needs. for target or plinking, it's hard to beat just plain jane FMJ bullets and they are usually pretty cheap when bought in bulk.

Imurhuckleberry likes this.
  7. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Active Member

Primer hit the nail on the head. On my rifle the hornady match hpbt 75gr is sub-moa at 200 yards. Heavy enough to bring down deer two years in a row.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Alaskan

Alaskan Active Member

Ammo - PMC XP193 55gr FMJ.jpg For target shooting at 100 - 200 yards I like either the Fiocchi 50gr V-Max or the Hornady 55gr V-Max for my Remington 700 SPS Tactical .223 (20" barrel). I understand that the V-Max is an excellent varmint round.
    Rem 700 110416-1.jpg REM 700 081818-10.JPG

These PMC X-TAC 5.56 XP193 55gr FMJBT are pretty accurate and dependable in my Bushmaster AR-15.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Shopfox and Imurhuckleberry like this.
  9. arlaunch

arlaunch New Member

Speer 70gr bullets are very accurate. However... Flat base bullets are a PITA to load. Once you get them set they can shoot very well though at ranges around 100 yards. Try Varget or H4895.

10. armoredman

armoredman Active Member

I like the 55gr VMAX for reloading, not the most expensive, but useful for many things that don't require massive deep penetration or armor piercing. I am no .223 expert but I was told it does make an excellent SD round as well.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Looking at the OP's criteria, I would suggest the Winchester 64 grain power point. Cost is a factor and these should run in the 20-25 cent range and be effective on deer. There are fancier bullets at higher prices but the Win Power Point has been doing the job for a long time and 64 grains stabilizes very well in 1:9 twist barrels. Care will have to be taken on seating depth and crimp as the taper is a little extreme.

12. divinginn

divinginn Member

Hornady 60 grain soft points shoot like a laser out of my ar and should do well on game. And they run about 12 cents each.

JTJ and Shopfox like this.
  13. Shopfox

Shopfox Active Member

Brownells has them .15 each after free shipping. I've never loaded any Hornady rounds, but have generally been satisfied with their factory loadings. I'm thinking 60gr, being on the lighter side of the spectrum, should do well in my 1:9 twists as well. I just ordered an upper and some keymod panels from Brownells. $15 is all the fun money I have left. It might as well go to Brownells too...

Dallas53 likes this.
  14. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

Mr. Shopfox, i use a lot of various Hornady bullets for rifle and pistol reloading and have been very pleased with them. i probably use more Hornady brand bullets than any other brand.

15. divinginn

divinginn Member

I looked at midsouth shooting supplies,the 60 bgrain soft points are 13 cent each plus shipping. I wish they would bulk pack them like the 55 grain sps,they are usually 10 cents or less in bulk. I don't think I have shot the 55s yet but I imagine they would shoot the same as the 60s,pretty sure I have loaded some but my Grendel project has eaten up my testing time lately.

Shopfox likes this.
  16. Shopfox

Shopfox Active Member

I have a box of the Sierra 65gr to try, and just ordered a box of the Hornady 60gr's. It'll take me a while to do a ladder test in multiple AR's. I'll post as I go.

Further along, I'd like to try some $0.08 Midsouth Supply 55gr SP's. For now that'll have to wait.

I just saw 500 on sale for 39.99+shipping.

Dallas53 likes this.