Recommendations for a new 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Westy, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Westy

Westy New Member

I had a Springfield 1911 a few years back and was in a pinch for cash so I let it go. Now I find myself browsing gunbroker looking at 1911's again, but need some recommendations.

With all the different models out there it's hard to decide where to draw the line! A good mix between quality and value (to me) would be a Springfield Champion because it comes with Novak sights and a ambi-safety for us lefties. I also see the Rock Islands, American Tacticals and others out there for allot less. More of these are missing the ambi-safety but do have decent sights on them.

I'm looking for something in the commander or champion 4" size. I don't want another 5".

Any experienced thoughts for me? I want to shoot the darn thing, so it's got to be reliable.

Thanks in advance!

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

There are 2 basic styles of 4 inch 1911s - those with a traditional bushed barrel and those with a bull barrel system. I posted a thread on this recently you may want to look at. Anyway, a lot depends on how much you want to spend, whether you want new or used, and if you want alloy or steel frame. Answer a few questions and we'll head down the path. My current 4 inch 1911 is a Sig Carry I recently picked up - not a "purist" 1911 as it has an external extractor but it's a seriously sweet shooter...

[​IMG]

3. Westy

Westy New Member

No preference on the barrel or frame, mainly because I don't know which is better. I don't have a dollar figure mid. Obviously; I want to keep it down but don't want to spend $500 on a piece of junk.

Care to educate me?

4. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Can't go wrong with a Springfield, IMO.
    I would stay away from Rock Islands, I know there are people on this forum that are very happy with their Rock Islands, but when compared to Springfield (or just about any other good 1911) the difference in quality is immediately obvious.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

For carry, an alloy frame is a good deal lighter than an all steel gun. I prefer steel in a gun that will have a lot of rounds put through it myself. If you're looking for a gun with all the bells & whistles like night sights, beavertail grip safety, combat hammer, and ambi safety you'll have to move up in price.

Using Springer as the base model, the Champion is available in the GI, Mil-Spec, and Loaded models from lowest to highest price. The Mil-Spec is the lowest model I'd go with as it has decent sights and a few enhancements over the GI model. A Loaded has all the goodies but now you're up in the > $800 range. Rock Island also has 4 inch guns at reasonable prices and they come in a GI or Tactical model. A 4 inch Tactical will be less than $500 generally and is an OK entry level 1911.

As for bushed vs bull barrels - I prefer bushed but it limits your selection to just a few brands - Colt, Sig, and Para-Ordnance basically. Kimber, Springer, Rock Island, and most others use a bull barrel.

If the gun you choose doesn't have an ambi safety - you can have one installed for < $100...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

westy, our NGIB is giving you good advice. With the shorter 1911, you have to be more prudent with spring changes and upkeep.

Good Luck.

7. Westy

Westy New Member

I have two Para Ordnance 1911's that I outfitted with the "lefty" safties. A P13 in stainless and a P14 in black. Carrying them with a full mag (13 or14) in .45 ACP gets a little heavy on the side.

I was looking at the Champion OD/black or the stainless.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

More specific information about what you want will help us to help you.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

One like this:

[​IMG]

10. Westy

Westy New Member

That's it! Here's my two PO's~

Attached Files:

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I actually traded that alloy Champion straight up for the Sig in the first post. Never had a Sig so it was the direction I wanted to go. The Springer was a very nice gun and shot very well. I think I paid $825 OTD including tax for it about a year ago. They are as rare as hens teeth as Springer doesn't make them in large batches...

12. Westy

Westy New Member

I have a line on a Springfield Champion 1911 but it has the stock sights, which I hate. What's it going to run me for parts for a set (or rear only) novak style sights and a left handed safety for the Champion? I can get the gunsmith costs myself, but figure you 1911 guys would have some links bookmarked for parts! :D

13. Westy

Westy New Member

Here's the latest addition to my family. Picked up on GB for $ 450.00. I would have preferred a loaded model with different sights and an ambi-safety, but it was too good to pass up!

Attached Files:

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

15. Westy

Westy New Member

There's nothing you can do with the front sight is there?

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Send it off to someone like Novak's and have them replace the sights:

Genuine Novak Sights

Or buy a gun with the sights you want. RECOMMENDED

17. Westy

Westy New Member

I was curious if they could machine a dovetail in place of the stationary front one. For standard white dot, I'll have about $ 125 into it, and still no ambi-safety. :(

Guess I better visit GB or have you folks starting give me hot prices from dealers you know on a Springfield Champion with all the goodies on it! Either one of these would do!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views: