Recommendations for .22 semi auto pistol?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by drkknight196, Oct 27, 2013.

1. drkknight196

drkknight196 New Member

I have a problem with snakes in my yard. Last week I dispatched a medium sized cottonmouth that was coiled up on my deck expressing his displeasure with my Rottweiler's curiosity. Since I've never owned a .22 pistol before, I'm looking for recommendations. Nothing fancy. Just reliable and reasonably priced. I plan on using .22 shot shells for my yard work.

2. Cheever

Cheever New Member

Most Semis will not cycle 22 shot shells. So I recommend Ruger single six or single nine, depending on whether you want 6 or 9 shots in Single action revolver.

3. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Semi auto 22's and shot shells usually don't mix well....

I have a Ruger Single Ten that will shoot them all day long with no problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The .22 Magnum shot shells are much more effective on large snakes. I would consider one of the many .22 handguns with both cylinders.:)

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

22 snake loads are about useless. Id a semi is what you want then one of the Ruger MK pistols or a Browning Buckmak is the way to go. If you really want ot sue thos esnake loads in a 22 then you would be better off with a revolver though.

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Most semis don't seem to cycle regular 22lr consistently either. Not the ones with slides anyway. The Ruger Marks 'just' have a bolt and a good reputation. Still, my 22/45 FTF / FTE occasionally and it's annoying to strip. I'd second the revolver choice.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The .22 Competition handguns such as the S&W Mdl. 41 and the various HS Comp guns all use slides rather than closed receivers. :)

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If you plan on using 22 shot shells, the revolver would be the best way to go. The Ruger single action has already been mentioned. I also recommend for double action: Ruger SP101 and S&W 617 or 17.

If you really want a semi 22, I would take a look at the S&W M&P 22. I was very impressed with that gun.

9. lucznik

lucznik New Member

The 41 at least only uses a "partial slide." I know that's not the correct terminology but, I don't know how else to describe it.

The bulk if what would be the slide on most autos as well as the barrel (which are integral to each other in this case) are solidly locked into place. Thus the .22 LR round is not being required to move much metal back to cycle the next round.

10. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I agree with the previous posts. Bad idea to try and do this with a semi. A revolver will be better. .22LR semis have issues with normal feeding ammo, much less this speciality stuff.

Alright now you guys have to stop! You are killing me!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=373112132

Only $154.95 for a very nice looking .22LR western style 6 shooter. Tell me its garbage or something before I spend my scope money and my gas money for the month on it!

11. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

I have not tried shot shell, but our Beretta Neos has 1000s of rounds through it, every other kind of .22LR you can imagine and not a single FTF, malfunction, or issue. It is accurate as hell too.

12. drkknight196

drkknight196 New Member

Once again, I thank you all for taking the time to respond to my thread and for all of your recommendations. I looked at most of the guns you all mentioned and decided that I really didn't want to invest a lot of money in a .22 that I planned on using sparingly anyway - primarily just to dispatch pests. I only plan on firing one shotshell into that snake's face so I probably don't need to worry about cycling them in a semi auto. Bottom line is that I settled on a Ruger SR22 and plan on neutralizing our slithery intruder this weekend if the weather holds.:D

13. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Speaking of shot shell, will it mess up rifeling in a 22?

14. ScottA

Good choice.

15. ScottA

I doubt that. The steel in the barrel is far tougher than the lead in the shot.

16. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Its always been in the back of my mind I understand lead is softer but over an over im like hmmmmm..
    Ive got a 597 that that's all it gets used for. I hate the thing lol

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Recommendation for .22's: Auto: Ruger Mk I, Mk II, or Mk III; Revolvers: Ruger Single Six.

However, if I were gunning for poisonous snakes in my yard I'd use a .410. Much more effective than .22 "ratshot".

18. racer_x

racer_x New Member

lol im bad to pick up a 12 I hate snakes

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If snake killing is the only reason you want a 22LR I would look into a rifle. Rifles are more accurate, they function more reliably. You can get a mossberg plinkster at walmart for around $150. If you can live with a bolt action you can get a nicer rifle for the same $150. The tube fed savage bolt action rifles shoot 22 shorts or 22 LR.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

wanting to use shotshells to kill snakes, i would recommend getting a 22 revolver. we used one with shotshells for rats in the barn and to kill snakes when needed. a revolver is simple and will function just fine with just about any type of ammo, including shotshells. a semi-auto might not function properly with shotshells.