Recommendations for 22 Pistol Please

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Surftaco, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

Im looking for a semi-auto 22 pistol that also takes high capacity mags.

Something fun for the range!!! :D

2. Force4000

Force4000 New Member

Walther p22 is a very reliable gun. I love mine. It only holds 10 rounds in the factory mag.

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I'm gonna recommend the Walther as well.
    They're a lot easier to field strip and put back together than the Ruger .22 pistols.
    Probably not as accurate as the Ruger, just less of a headache when it comes time to clean.

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I guess I will suggest the Sig Mosquito, everyone else is going Walther.
    [​IMG]

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

ok so whats the price on the SIG brosephus?

6. greenn17h

greenn17h New Member

No experience with the others mentioned, but I have a Ruger Mk III and love it. Disassembly / reassembly isn't nearly as difficult as a lot of people make it out to be. You just have to follow the instructions and not assume that you can figure it out on your own.

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Right about $370, I am sure you can find them for a little less or a little more.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Hi capacity .22 pistol? I think they're all ten rounders.

I would suggest a browning buckmark.

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

I love my Ruger. And every other Ruger I've fired has been terrific. They eat every kind of ammunition I put in them, and the target models have all been very accurate.

I fired someone else's Walther. It was a little finicky about ammunition, but not too bad. The people who owned it were shooing (I think) American Eagle. We put some of my Federal bulk pack stuff in it and it ran without a hiccup. It was a lot of fun.

My Sig Mosquito is a piece of crap.

10. Surftaco

Surftaco New Member

what model Ruger?

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

about the same price as the walther p22

12. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Either the Mk III (Better yet, the Mk II if you can find one used), or the 22/45, both are fantastic.

13. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

You said 22. Instead of a 22LR, try the 22 WMR. It has 3 times the kenetic energy as the 22LR. Thats more than the .380 and the .38 special, but just under 9mm. My suggestion is the upcoming Kel-Tec PMR-30. Its a semi-action 22 WMR. It holds 30 rounds, most only come with 10. Plus its reseasonable at about $415 MSRP.[​IMG]

14. kdog

kdog New Member

I`d go for a CZ75 with a Kadet System on it.

That gives you the possibility to go for a CZ75 in 9mm and also use the same grip and trigger to shoot .22 lr

That is mostly cheaper than buying a totally new gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The Ruger MKII & MKIII are really good shooters and wont kill you in the wallet. Also the Browning Buckmark which I think has a little better trigger. Most Ruger's and Browning's can be had under 300.00 around here. I think I paid 240.00 for my Buckmark Camper and my 22/45 Ruger was about 260.00. The target models are a little higher.

I ended up putting a Tactical Solutions barrel on my Ruger and it is a real tack driver now. But that is going to raise your price a pretty good bit. My Camper is unchanged and does pretty dang well.

16. utf59

utf59 New Member

I have a 22/45 because I wanted more conventional controls. The target models are more accurate, in my experience, and they are all metal. The 22/45 has a polymer frame.

One thing I like about Ruger is the variety of barrel lengths and styles. It's pretty easy to find one to your taste.

17. opaww

opaww New Member

I have a Walther P22 and love it, my son has a Beretta Neos which I had one also a while back there both good .22lr's as are many out there. The one draw back I keep reading about with the P22 is that it is ammo sensitive, it does not digest some types of ammo well.

18. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 22/45. I love it. My 11 year old son loves it. My wife loves it. My neighbor's kid loves it. Everyone that has shot mine loved it.

I was at a fund raising competition about 6 months ago. Three ladies used 22 pistols. Two were Walthers and one was a 22/45. I thought that the Walthers were cool until I actually saw them in action. We went through just under 200 rounds each. With 32 competitors I only remember seeing two people having malfunctions. Both were the ladies with the Walthers. They each had several. I have an employee that owns a Walther. She said hers is very picky about ammo. This all happened during the terrible 22 ammo shortage. It is possible they had trouble finding the brand they like. But it was enough for me to not buy a Walther.

My 22/45 has accepted everything I have ever fed it.

I like the idea of the 30 round Keltec. But let's remember, 22 mag is pricey. If I was going to shoot something expensive to feed, it would be a centerfire.

19. OklahomaRuger

OklahomaRuger New Member

I had one of the Walther 22 pistols. It was not picky about ammo...very reliable, I just lost confidence that it would stand up to 10s of thousands of rounds.

SIG Mosquito...went through a period where the one I had was fairly reliable, but that did not last long...I would personally not buy another.

Ruger is a great way to go...probably outlast most of us, reliable. Mine is pretty new and passed the 2500 round mark yesterday...never a failure of any kind and has had several different types through it.

Never have tried a Browning, but when I shot my first local Steel Challenge one of the guys in the rimfire division had a stock Browning...worked perfect for him and pretty accurate.

Stick with the sure things...Ruger or Browning.

20. Force4000

Force4000 New Member

Yea i use federal ammunition which is suppose one of the lowest rated ammunition's for the Walther but out of 400 rounds through it I have only had 1 jam.