Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by LawyerUp, Dec 20, 2012.

1. LawyerUp

LawyerUp New Member

I am in the market for a carry gun. I want something small in size, but don't want to go below a 380. I have been looking at the LCP but I am hearing horror stories about the trigger. Any thoughts?

2. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Lot of things to consider .... I think for me a big part was single or double stack? For wideth ...

3. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

If you go .380 you can get real small also

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Horror stories about the LCP trigger? I think that is overblown. It does have a long trigger put not "horrible". Personally, I own a Sig P238 and love it.

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yuuuuuup....!

6. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I had a police friend tell me that the one of the deadliest calibers is .22lr. I told him he was crazy. He then explained that a .22 doesn't have the power to go through a human, and instead rattles/jumps around inside the body and causes more damage internally than a .380 or 9mm.

Any truth to that?

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The LCP does have a heavy trigger pull, as well as the Kel-Tec P3AT.

Not a bad thing considering that some are placed in pockets without a pocket holster.

Make a list of what you want in such a handgun, and then make of list of what you don't want in.

Give a quick run-down, and we may be able to come up with some suggestions.

8. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Yeah good idea......

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Q: Power?

A: They have plenty of power, but because of bullet weight they're more apt to bounce around and stay inside IF they hit bone. But a thru and thru can happen with any caliber bullet.

Q: More deadly due to bouncing around?

A: It's not that it DOES, but that it CAN. So can a Hollowpoint of any caliber, though due to weight they may be less likely to. End of Story, any bullet can and will kill, but the smaller the hole the longer it takes to bleed out, unless you hit vitals or vertebrae. So don't shoot someone protecting yourself and think it's over simply because you hit him/her. The smaller the bullet the less the immediate affect. 22 MAY do the job, but a 12ga shotgun WILL do the job. It's all about operative words.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. phildenton

phildenton New Member

A person shot with 22 rimfire, without treatment can survive the initial contact for a couple weeks and seem fine, then just drop dead from internal bleeding and/or infection. or survive and recover. the problem with the 22 is that it typically is not all that capable as a 1 shot stop. the 22 short, is one of the oldest self contained metalic cartridge. it was designed primarily as technological innovation, and intended for self defense, in a small derringer or revolver, as a last ditch up close contact deep conceal weapon. typically aimed at the head/face area. a person shot in center mass in those days would live for a few days and seem ok, then drop dead from infection. as a last ditch close contact deep conceal weapon it places right before you would go for a knife in an encounter.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Consider what you want from the firearm; some wants rule others out. Smaller pistols generally recoil harder than larger pistols of the same caliber, but you have to decide how much small you want for the recoil. I like the Bersa Thunder .380, bigger than the LCP but less recoil.

12. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I'll sell you my Ruger LC9 with Crimson Trace Laser Guard for $375... ;)

13. LawyerUp

LawyerUp New Member

I think my number 1 concern is size. I don't want to have any reason to not carry it. I think second would be the trigger. But I guess the 8 pound trigger won't feel bad compared to the probably 12 lb on my s+w sigma. I'm not overly concerned with stopping power because I know that that mainly comes with the type of round you use, not caliber. I don't mind a kick, I can handle that. And my hands are fairly small which is why I initially thought the LCP would be great for me.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

It sounds like you are on the right track. I didn't see your budget, but if you have about $425, this is in regular 9mm rather than 9mm short and is freakin tiny: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...3+CM+9mm+3"+6+1+Textured+Blk+Poly+Grip+and+Fr I have yet to test fire one; i handled the PM40 and found it was actually a bit too small for my hands. They have a good rep for quality, and 9x19mm has a bigger variety of ammo types.

In the end, try to find a range that will let you rent your top two picks or at least a store that will let you handle them side by side.

15. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Agreed.... I love my XD 40 ... But its a little more spendy to shoot ... And the gun is just a touch to thick to conceal comfortably for me .... But on the other hand my pf9 is very forgiving for carry and as said above a big choice on rounds in a 9mm .... And more cost effient to shoot .... And for me I think 9mm is a good all around caliber for defense ... Especially at 30 ft... But shot placement is king ... And if you can't afford to get proficient with your carry gun you may as well stick with carrying your pocket knife ... Imo

16. Donn

Donn Active Member

Have you considered a revolver? I know a lot of people prefer more ammo capacity, but if you believe the statistics, (1-3 shots in most SD situations), that shouldn't be an issue. My S&W Bodyguard is light, easily concealed and the .38spl+p is an adequate SD round, superior IMHO to the .380 auto.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

When I was a paramedic, we were told a suicidal head shot with a .22 was usually more fatal than a poorly aimed shot with a larger caliber. If the .22 gets in the skull it may not have enough power to exit and can bounce around in the skull, killing the brain. A poorly placed larger caliber can enter and exit and not do much damage if the aim isn't right.

18. sawman1293

sawman1293 New Member

Everyone has a different idea of a good carry gun. What is right for me, may not suit you at all. I was in your shoes a while back. I was looking for the perfect carry gun. Guess what? There is not a perfect carry gun. There are lots of very good carry guns availabe, though. I started with a Ruger SR9c. It's now my truck gun. I now rotate between a Glock26, Glock36, and Kimber Solo. I carry them all in Crossbreed holsters. They all fit my hand well, and they shoot to my liking. My suggestion is to find a friend, or range, that has several guns you can try before you buy. Of course, the fun is in the buying, and trading of different guns! Good luck!

19. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I just bought the Ruger LC9. It's a very nice size for carry.

20. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

I agree that a .38 special wheel gun is am awesome choice ... And a sleek 9mm also ... The m&p shield is a sweet auto