Recommendation for best scope for 338 Remington Ultra Mag

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by BAMonty, Jul 15, 2012.

1. BAMonty

BAMonty New Member

I have a Browning 338 RUM that I have put off scoping for quite a while. Concerned about what is the best scope for it in terms of durability. Not over concerned about super magnification, thinking 3-10 power or so. Also cost is a concern, need to try to keep this below $400. Expect to use on bear, moose, elk. Have looked at Nikon Monarch, Leupold and Sightron and seen some good things but curious about the best bang for the buck and which will best handle the recoil. Thanks & S/F

Barry

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Almost any name brand scope will handle the recoil.

I prefer to use Sightron,Weaver,Zeiss,or Swarovski. Nikons lense coatings are too dark in my opinion,and I've just never cared that much for the over priced Leupold's. I've had both Nikon,and Leupold optics,but there are better scopes available from the others.

Natchez has this scope on sale-
    http://www.natchezshooterssupply.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE800703&src=tpMfg

I have 2 of these scopes in 6-24x50 on my varmint rigs,the quality of these scopes are great,and the glass is right up there in clarity with my Sightron SIII's. It's a hell of a scope for the price.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

You have looked at nikon and leopluld which are 2 I often recommend. Another is Burris. They put out some good quality scopes at a very reasonable price

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I would prefer a 1.5-6 Swarovski.

5. Boltguns4life

Boltguns4life New Member

I have a 3.5-10×44 Nikko Sterling srx crosshair with the IR it is way better than my grandpa's old luepold I don't know the price exactly but I know they aren't expensive.