Recommend me a starter battle belt

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Sm3lliot, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

Went browsing for a battle belt today, and was surprised to find that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I've been into firearms for some time and while Im certainly no expert, I thought I'd have SOME idea as to which brands and styles to look for.

I need something basic for now, just to get me through a carbine class or two and maybe some tactical drilling. Nothin too expensive or fancy here (unless all the affordable options are crap; no point in buying something twice).

I'd really appreciate some guidance, sorry for the ignorance.
    Have a good one :)

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I've been wearing a Tacshield riggers belt for over a year. Not the most rigid belt, but a good belt to get you started. I can't remember what I paid. Bought it at the exchange before heading to Germany last year.

3. SSGN_Doc

4. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

That's definitely something I'll need/look into. However, I was referring to a belt with MOLLE space for mag pouches etc. Sorry for the confusion, I might've just f****** up the terminology.

-Edit: Or would mag pouches be doable on something like this??

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

No such thing as ignorance when your buying something you never owned before. My own experiences are limited since I was in aviation, we flew over the battlefield. I got an uncle mikes duty belt with suspenders for Aux LE duty, but for "ground battle" situations, I have various LBE's & Vests. I don't know your ht., but I can tell you this: figure out by how much gear you will carry on your body, to decide if you just want a belt( like a riggers belt) or L(oad) B(earing) vest. I have two vests( one OD & one Black) with a built in padded & reinforced belt. Decide how many mags for your rifle. Since I do not have an AR in .223/5.56( I have a mini-14 and a 9MM AR ) I need to determine ( and you do too) how many mags, and what other items you will want to carry.

Edit: just saw your resp. Above. You need a belt that hooks to Molle Suspenders or a Molle Vest! Check out Sportsmans Guide's website,..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

6. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You can use this thing from Blue Force Gear (BFG) with or without the suspenders:

http://www.blueforcegear.com/soc-c-modular-padded-belt-kit.html

You know what the best part about it is?

It only weighs a couple pounds, even with the mag and dump pouches included (before loading it up, obviously). Attach lightweight BFG Ten-Speed mag pouches, Ten-Speed dump pouch, and IFAK to your belt rig and you're set. The belt rigs keep the weight over your hips and lower to the ground. This is normally, normal defined as actively moving around while carrying a moderate load, better than your chest or back because the pelvic girdle supports loading better than your spine. The suspenders help stabilize the load and support some of the weight, but adjust the rig so that your hips take most of the loading.

Just curious, but is there any reason why a plate carrier or chest rig won't work for you?

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

That was my next question. The chest rigs/plate carriers are far superior to standard belt systems. One chest rig with a plate would have saved me a lot of pain now if they were around 30 years ago. I only have one carrier, and I baby it to death,...my wife says I treat my gear better then my dress clothes...
    Blue force also sells the Vickers slings. If you don't have one, get one...the only thing I found better is for lighter long guns, a Paracord sling. The one on my 10/22 is a one point,..but I'm going to run Rimfire steel plate matches with it..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

What do you want to do with it ? Is it to help keep your trousers up by going through your belt loops ? Or are you just looking for a accessory belt that you can hang stuff on that goes around your waist but has no trouser duties ?

9. SSGN_Doc

Ah, I was reading "Starter" as meaning a very basic rig for a pistol class or some run and gun games. A basic riggers belt with a holster and mag pouches is fine on this sort of belt. Maybe even a dump pouch. If you want to get into uber-tactical combat load outs I agree that a load bearing arrangement, or vest is a better option. Molle attachments will still usually fit on a basic belt. You just don't want to over load it.

10. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

I apologize for my response time, free time has not been abundant lately.
    It sounds like I should do away with the belt idea and go for a plate carrier. I'm assuming there are boatloads of posts about where I should go from there :)

I was originally going for an accessory belt, but now I'm leaning towards getting a plate carrier.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Again, sorry for the long response time.

11. kbd512

That depends on how you want to carry your load, but there's nothing wrong with a plate carrier. It's multi-pupose. It permits wearing of essential survival equipment for a gunfight, namely body armor, magazine pouches, and IFAK.

The belt kits have a tendency to snag on vegetation. If you live in an area without much in the way of underbrush, this may not be a problem.

Again, Blue Force Gear makes some top notch equipment but they're far from the only game in town. Whatever you choose, think minimalist as far as weigh and bulk go. Plate carriers are hot and heavy, so don't buy and carry capability that you don't need or will never use.

If all you want is mag pouches and IFAK and opt not to carry body armor, check out the Original SOE Micro Rig.

12. t_humm

t_humm New Member

If you do decide on a belt surplus ALICE gear is extremely cheap and can be found in decent shape. While not perfect with MOLLE gear a little thinking outside the box you can get it to work.

I have a belt suspenders and two old 3 mag pouches I picked up for about $25 and a molle pouch does attach with a bit of work. Alice gear is heavy stuff, the steel clips can be swapped for heavy duty zip-ties and I swapped the hooks for looped para cord. Total I pulled off about a pound of extra weight

13. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

I'd definitely be interested in something like that.
    What I'm looking for is something to compliment a minimalist setup:
    - 1-2 rifle mags
    - 1 pistol mag
    - Pistol
    - Knife
    - Sometimes IFAK

I'm such a freakin newbie, I should've included my desired setup in the original post. My apologies.

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The main battle belt I would need would be Jack Daniels.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You just as well get a cover garment. There are a bunch of nice vests for under $50 that will serve you well for any purpose.

I recommend Jim Beam for a battle belt.

16. kbd512

Original SOE AK/M4 Micro Rig

http://www.originalsoegear.com/products/akm4-micro-rig

Everything you need and nothing you don't.

SOE makes micro rigs for shotguns, sub guns, carbines, rifles, and PALS (user-determined) configuration.

If you need modularity, the PALS micro rig is your best bet. You'll have to purchase the pouches, though, and total cost will be more not less.

SOE makes other chest rigs, but the other models are considerably more expensive and probably not something you'd use if you are not a soldier.

Comes in a range of colorations.

Price is very reasonable.

If you manage to break it, you get a new one.

17. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

I know this is a little old and some may bash but I have a condor belt I didn't pay too much for and it seems to hold up so far. Haven't had a chance to do much training with it yet but it seems to be fairly sturdy so far. Goes well with my new Paraclete skd spec sohpc.