Recommend me a Machete

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Marthor, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I want to add a machete to my bug-out-gear.

I was about to put a Gerber Machete on my wishlist on Amazon, but then I saw a review how the blade broke with a pic. I looked at a SOG machete and it had some similar reviews about the blades bending and breaking. I then looked for more reviews and came across the Cold Steel Kukri machete, but it had a review about being too dull out of the box.

Moreso than knives, I expect axes and machetes to be able to take a real beating. The whole purpose of an axe to hack through a tree. The whole purpose of a machete to hack through all sorts of vines and branches. Much more abuse than a knife would take.

So, I'm looking at the Cold Steel Kukri as #1 unless I get a better idea. First-hand knowledge of use is prefered.
    Got a recommendation?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ontario Knife Co. Making machetes for the US military for decades. Decent steel, decent price. It may no be Rambo's choice. but a good tool.

5. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I've been researching all day and reading many reviews.
    Ontario is the one I've decided on. It got lots of good reviews, isn't too expensive and I especially like that it's the standard US military.

Watched an amazing video of a destruction test on a cold steel Kukri machete. I've already got the cold steel Gladius that's part of their machete line. Glad to know it's so tough.

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Some of the Cold Steel machete's are Latin made, and I know first hand over the years than any Latin made machete is a good one.

7. marc29th

marc29th New Member

http://www.woodmanspal.com/

Check out the woodmans pal I have one and love it. Works great and with a bit more mass than a machete you can use it on thicker limbs plus it is nice and compact.

8. hq357

hq357 New Member

Have you seen this machete?! Perfect for bugging out, double edged can cut through thick wilderness, bones and flesh if needed for deffensive offensive situations to also has a tip sharp as a needle.

image-598166226.jpg

Coldsteel gladius!

9. piratebob64

piratebob64 New Member

As said in a movie Now this a machete, This a custom hand forged Himalayan farm knife 16" long forged from a peter built leaf spring. You can not buy this quality in a store!

Attached Files:

10. hq357

hq357 New Member

What the hell is that thing? Hahaha its pretty kick ***

11. jyo

jyo New Member

Check Condor line---made in South America---I prefer the heavier blade types---use one in my large backyard...

12. piratebob64

piratebob64 New Member

I also have the baby sister to it! Just got it from my knife maker today. 8" damascus with moose antler handles.

Attached Files:

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

We go through machetes pretty quickly so I buy them by the dozen directly from Corona. Its not tacticool but the steel is pretty darned good and never had one break on us. They have three choices, the most expensive one is just over $10. The handles on the regular machete is plastic and has that grippy rubberized stuff on it. Never had a handle break on us either.

http://www.coronatools.com/chopping-tools

I have gotten some that are from Colombia and some that are from China- both with the Corona name. Interestingly the Chinese ones are noticeably heavier (thicker blade) and we prefer those over the Colombian ones. We do have to sharpen them but that is no problem. Keep one in each vehicle and a few spread out in convenient places.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  14. hq357

hq357 New Member

Are those chopped off chicken toes? Bad ***! Lol

15. hq357

hq357 New Member

image-645245287.jpg

Pretty heavy and long id rather take this with me if shtf or for defending myself in close quarters

Attached Files:

16. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

It's a machete. Just go to Home Depot or lowes, and get one and sharpen it up. They are made for chopping thought heavy brush not for gutting or skinning. It's not that hard .

17. Marthor

Marthor New Member

It's not quite that easy. There are a couple machete choices that would be bad.

I'm satisfied the Ontario I chose will hold up. I'm also certain the cold steel machete line is all good. There are many other good choices too, but a few bad ones so it's always worth it to do due diligence before buying.

18. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

+1 on the Ontario . I have a 1-18SBK sawback and the finish sucks ( but who cares its a machete ) full tang .250 thick ( feels more like a massive knife ) of 1095. Requires a bit more maint due to the carbon steel but a bit of ballistol after use does the trick takes a wicked blade too . It's heavy but its a work horse I lopped through a 4" thick brazillian pepper tree in like 10 whacks . And brazillian pepper tree aint easy to get through .

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  19. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Step 1 go to Rural King if they have one in your area.

Then buy a corn knife. It is basically a machete, but is actually designed to be a tool not just a marketing gimmick.