Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Yunus, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

My friend and I are trying to think of the best recommendation for a home defense gun on the smallest budget possible for another friend of ours. The person who is buying the gun is not knowledgeable about guns, and will not clean it often if ever and will shoot it a couple times a year.

So the conversation between my friend and I went something like this.
    Recommend a handgun for home defense on the cheap.
    I responded, Glock.
    I was told, too expensive.
    I responded, used Glock.
    I was told, too expensive.
    I was then asked, whats the cheapest reliable handgun for having fun with. I said Hi-point. He then asked why I didn't just recommend Hi-point in the first place.

I said I would not recommend a gun for home defense that I would not trust my own life with. Maybe it's because I can afford better but Hi-point falls into that category for me.

So help me out here, revolver or semi-auto is fine(I have never owned and know nothing about revolvers). Shotgun is not an option. Whats the cheapest gun you would recommend for home defense?

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

A used S&W revolver or used Ruger revolver to start with. Barring that go for a used Ruger P series semiauto.

3. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Used S&W or Ruger wheelguns would be the best option, IMHO. .357 would be ideal, but .38 (+p rated) would also work.

I've seen some for really good prices just because they had some cosmetic damage.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As usual, Bear nailed this one.

The only thing I would add is a used S&W Sigma. They are available really cheap (at least around here) and they are a reliable gun with a crappy trigger. With a little work the trigger can be improved to make it less than crappy...

5. Desperado-OPs

Desperado-OPs New Member

The best thing for home defense, IMO, is a 12 gauge PUMP shotgun. Not very expensive either.
    For a handgun I would recommend a revolver.

6. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Definitely a good old 12 ga. pump shotgun. Why is it not an option, out of curiosity?

Failing that, a Ruger GP100 .357 mag, or S&W 686. The Ruger will likely be cheaper, but if you can get a deal on a used S&W, go for it.

If he wants an auto, Ruger P-series are cheap, durable, and in all the standard calibers.

So, yeah, what Bear said. The Bear is wise.

7. Esteban

Esteban New Member

Being that the person is not familiar with handguns, probably never will practice much, & will doubtfully clean the weapon,,,, the revolver is the only choice, in MY opinionm, unless they will settle for a 12-20 ga. shotgun. There are a few decent, makers of revolvers that can be found cheaper than S7 w, etc. I used to have a Rossi, that was a good pistol !

8. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Just tell him to get a Ruger LCR, he can find for pretty cheap. It can shoot +P ammo, and when your friend finally does get around to cleaning it he wont even have to take it apart.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I agree with the Bear, a used revolver is the way to go. They're inexpensive and easy to use.

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

No shotgun because she wants to be able to occasionally go to the range with it and put holes in paper but can't afford a second gun.

I'm still of the opinion that she needs more experience with firearms before keeping one for ready for home defense and in the mean time could be saving, but I looked at the ruger revolvers and S&W, they do seem to meet the requirements and both are good brand names.

Thanks for the help all.

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I don't really understand this point, Yunus. How is having a single shotgun different to having a single handgun? She can take it to the range, punch some paper, clean it up and load it for home defense. That's what I do with my 870.

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

+ another for the Bear. Hibernation must be good meditation. :)

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Bear is a Genius. Should listen to any advice given by him.

Heck, a new Sigma could be had for a great price.
    Quit hating on the Trigger, it is not that bad.:D

The Elsie Arrr(LCR) would be a great choice, the wife loves hers, got it from listening to advice from Bear.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  14. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

What will a rock of crack get at the local Gunmart? Not trying to be a severe smart-*** (just a marginal one) but does she know anyone who would trade a Saturday Night Special for an old TV, a coffee table and a Starter jacket?
    Bartering rocks.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I currently own 13 handguns. I have two S&W, three Rugers, An awesome 1911 and several others.

But in my closet I keep an EAA Windicator for my wife to use. This is the cheapest gun I have that I would trust my life to. I had a $1000 1911 that would constantly jam. I bought the EAA brand new at a pawn shop for $205. It is a 2" 6 shot 357 magnum. It's plenty powerful for close range. With a 2" barrel you don't have to worry as much about someone trying to wrestle it out of your hand. It is also heavy. It's like carrying a brick in your pocket. That really helps with recoil. Glocks are nice. Several of my friends are cops. They swear by them. I would be concerned about a newbe trying to maintain an auto if they have never even cleaned a gun.
    Another nice thing about a revolver is if you pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang, you can pull it again. And it doesn't just hit the same bad primer again. It puts a fresh round in front of that hammer. It's nice not to have to worry about safties either.

Whatever they get, they will need to practice a lot. Practice. Practice Practice.

16. Rick1967

I also have the S&W Sigma in 40. Great Gun. Shoots right where I aim. But that doesn't even have the second strike capability. Once the hammer drops the slide must be racked again. I admit I carry mine often. But I am not new to this game by a long shot. A new shooter might even forget to chamber a round when under pressure.

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Who would carry a gun with an empty chamber - might as well carry an empty beer bottle. If you're going to carry a gun, carry it in a condition that it's ready for immediate use.

Yes, the Israeli's believe in carrying with an empty chamber - one of the few things I don't think they have right in the defensive arena...

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Have him take the value of HIS LIFE and multiply it by 1,320.

That would be a good starting point.

Just tell him to get the Elsie.

19. Rick1967

I always carry a chambered round. I totally agree with you. If I carry my 1911 it is cocked and locked. I would have it no other way. But we are talking about home protection. Many people keep a closet gun with an empty chamber. I do not. I have taught my 11 year old son how to defend himself if the need arises. But many people will not chamber a round in a gun that they do not have on their person.

20. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Maybe I am reading this wrong, you have a Sigma and it has a Hammer?:confused:
    It doesn't have second strike capability?:confused:

I am going to reread posts just to make sure I didn't miss something.