recommend a decent .308 bolt action

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dewey, Jul 12, 2010.

1. dewey

dewey New Member

Been thinking about getting a bolt action. Saw a Sako a7 in a flier for $600 plus. Have read some on the savage 10fp. Give me some input on what you guys like or dont like about these and others. I want as much accuracy as is reasonable out to 500 yd, without breaking the bank. Just want a rifle for groundhogs up to coyote or wild hog.

2. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

do you want a heavy riflr to sit on a bi pod/bags or something light enough to carry all day? Whats breaking the bank? What are you planning on spending on your optics?

I have one of these in .223 and its an awesome rifle its too heavy to carry all day, but it would easily meet your accuracy and power requirements.

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models

3. dewey

dewey New Member

It will sit on a bipod. I wont have to lug it much at all. Optic wise, I havent thought much on it yet, probably will be close to the price of the rifle. I have Nikons on my AR's, and I like em.

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I've heard nothing but good things about The "Savage Edge" it is available in .308 as well as other good varmint cartridges. It comes out of the box at 6.5 lbs, shoots amazingly accurate out of the box and retails for just over $300.

For that price you could easily afford an after market target/varmint stock and decent scope as well.

I recently put together a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag and after adding a decent stock and scope I was over my fairly generous "one gun" limit. I'd never take it back. . .

BUT, when I go with a short action (soon :)), I will be getting a Savage. There is enough aftermarket options to satisfy most custom desires with out dropping too much out of the account. ;)

Have fun.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Savage Edge P/N 18909 chambered in 308 WIN with a 1 in 10" twist 22" barrel 43.875" LOA weight 6.5 lbs Ammo Cap. 4 MSRP $329.00

Attached Files:

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That's not a bad rifle at all cane. I would give the Marlin XL7 a look as well.

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's the one!

8. dewey

dewey New Member

Thanx Dudes,

I will go check one out on tues or wed. Ive heard they are accurate, and seems reasonable for what I want to do. thanks again

9. powg

powg New Member

bolt gun

savage imo and from what ive read and discussed with gun dealers,gunsmiths are the best production rifles made today ...ie value ,accuracy out of box, and customer support...my next purchase will be a savage model 10flcp-k left hand .308

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I've heard (quietly) that theses (Savage) rifles have been a jewel for some time. I'm glad to see that they have been discovered, used and appreciated by those of us that matter. (true shooters)

I just wish I had listened sooner!

Ya'll let us know how your new rifles perform! And, as always. . . Have lots of fun!!!

11. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I am a Tikka fan. With that being said, I believe my next .308 will be the Savage Edge. I got to shoot a friends Edge last weekend & found it to be very accurate.

12. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Gosh, rekon I should have bought a Savage, but I got a Rem M700 5R Milspec. Three of them as a matter of fact .223, .308 and .300 Win Mag. It is a super accurate rifle and I love it, but some of my shooting partners at the range do have Savages and they are excellent rifles as well.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

No,You did just fine with all of those 5R's,Silvertip. Those rifles also shoot very well.
    I do like my Savage's though,and just found a great load for my 308 last week. I shot a .223" and .287" group with the new load,the best groups that I can ever recall shooting with a 30 caliber rifle. It was the gun,not me!

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Someone is being modest, again.........

15. opaww

opaww New Member

There are a few Howa Fans on this board who like the rifles so don't over look them.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Savage and Howa would be the ones I would look at. Tikka is also a great rifle.

Sako actions are known to be as smooth as butter on a models ares.

17. powg

powg New Member

bolt rifle

go with a savage .....you can get pkg deals with scope ready to shoot

18. opaww

opaww New Member

All the major brands have a package deal, including Howa. But most times the scopes are very low end and not worth much.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

After going back and rereadig the OP why are you looking for a 308? A 308 shooting 110gr V-max bullets will sure make a mess out of a ground hog. I doubt hogs are all that big up there.

I myself would look at getting a 243 or a 257 roberts or 25-06. The 243 will get you way out there is you get a 10 twist or better. You can shoot 58gr V-Max bullets that will make a bigger mess than the 110gr 30 cal.

A Savage Model: 12 VLP DBM will be a sweet shooting rifle. Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models

20. rleete1948

rleete1948 New Member

The Rem, 700 VTR in 308 is awesom also I have one that I use for competions and it is awesome i can shoot a dime group at 100 yr