Recomended first guns

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by mikeanthony493, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mikeanthony493

mikeanthony493 New Member

I am a 16 year old guy that is saving up to buy my very first rifle. I want it to be a .22lr, but I am not sure what kind of gun I should get, brand and type. Any recommendations for me? Thanks.

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

For a new shooter I generally recommend a single shot .22lr, be it a break action, bolt action or what have you. Having only one round really promotes accuracy, while having many or a semi auto promotes spraying.

Luckily a single shot 22 is cheap, $100 or less in many cases, finding reasonably priced ammo is a bit more work though

I like the Marlin 15s myself but they are very short, there is also the H&R sportster

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

3. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum !

Good advice above !

4. mikeanthony493

mikeanthony493 New Member

Thanks to all who gave advice! I appreciated the welcomes much too. I will update with whatever gun I get with photos, shooting and such.

5. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Looking forward to it !

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

7. kaido

kaido New Member

I bought my girlfriend a Marlin XT-22 almost exactly two years ago. Both me and her use the day lights out of it and still still holding good groups at 50 yards. It was her first rifle and in all honesty, she's out shot me with that thing......kinda scary really. Haha

8. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Go to your LGS, pick them all up bolts,pumps,levers,semi auto's. Pick the one thet feel the best. I prefer for first gun the Marlin bolt or the Marlin Model 60 semi auto. Enjoy your search let us know what U purchase!

9. BRL

BRL Member

I agree with that recommendation.

You'd get bored with a single shot in about ten minutes.

The Ruger is a quality rifle that you can leave stock or add about a million accessories to as time and funds permit, and your skills develop.

Want a single shot to start off with...stick one bullet in the magazine. :D

[​IMG]

10. JERRYB1127

JERRYB1127 New Member

Good Advice

Makes perfect sense AND you won't outgrow it or get bored with it right away.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Welcome to the forum. Pleases stop by the introduction area when you get the chance and tell us a bit about yourself.

I own a Ruger 10-22. I love it. But I agree with the single shot approach. It will force you to practice your fundamentals on every trigger pull. You can get semi-autos later after the fundamentals are ingrained in you.

Plenty of people still shoot bolt action rifles in full sized calibers for competition and accuracy training. There's nothing wrong with a single shot.

I won't recommend a specific model of gun, but I do recommend a bolt action or a break open style.

12. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

Welcome and great question!

Right Answer: Ruger 10/22

Old school answer: Get a single shot 22lr so that you appreciate the day you own a semi-auto. It's only $100.00 and it'll look great in the back of your safe covered in dust.

Really old school answer: Get a black powder musket. It'll make you appreciate the day you don't have to immediately clean your barrel after target practice. Get good with your ramrod skills before you get into this newfangled primed cartridge fad.

I can't make the type green on my phone so please take my sarcasm for what it is! Lol.

13. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

You will get as many answers as there are kinds of guns. Bolt action would be my suggestion, More accurate, cheaper, less problems, less chance being outlawed. In some states SAs are not legal to hunt with, Bolt action is easier to maintain. If you were younger, I would recommend a single action but I do think it is easy to loose interest in them quickly. I've owned single shots, bolts and semis but I personally don't enjoy SAs(especially the way 22lr is hard to get now). You will have to hold and shoot as many as possible to decide what is right for you. Remington 510-514 are my favorite but Marlins, Winchesters, Savage, Stevens, Ruger all make good guns. I would recommend looking for a well cared for used 22lr. It is almost impossible to wear out a 22lr barrel so you don't have to worry about that, and if it has been taken care of there wont be any corrosion inside or out. Good luck with your choice but make it yourself. Welcome to the forum.

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I have semi- automatic rifles, pistols, revolvers, and now a bolt 22 rifle. Of all of them, the bolt gives me the most joy.

15. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I do not have one but one of the CZ bolt 22 is in my near future. I have shot my buddies( Forget the model and loved it). If I was just starting off shooting I would think long and hard about one.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Get a bolt-action in .22LR, but not a single shot. In the beginning, just load one round at a time.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i too recommend a bolt action 22 rifle to start with, whether it be a single shot or a repeater. it will promote better shooting skills and make you pay attention to the fundamentals of rifle shooting. which one, dependson how much you want to spend. starting out, IMO it's hard to go wrong with either a Marlin or Savage bolt action 22 rifle. they don't cost an arm and a leg and are pretty danged accurate as well. even new, they might cost a bit over $200. then there is always the option of browsing the pawn shops and gun stores for used rifles. there were plenty of old Winchester and Remington 22 rimfires that were pretty danged accurate and some of them can be bought pretty reasonably.

BTW, welcome to the forum! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

18. joshman88

joshman88 New Member

My first rifle when I was 12 was a CZ 452 bolt action. The thing is a nail driver I still have it and wouldn't get rid of it. It is a great first rifle. A little heavy for me when I was 12 and shooting off hand competitions but I loved it

19. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Thats what I have, is the CZ 455 Lux. If I bought that first, i'd have no need for my 10/22 and browning buckmark. The revolver is still nice though

20. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Welcome aboard!

Many choices and opinions for you to think about, but I'll add the Marlin 795 and add Tech-Sights http://www.tech-sights.com/. Ruger 10/22 you can tacti-cool yourself and your bank account to death :). CZ makes fantastic .22LRs. S&W M&P 15/22 mimics the AR platform, is a lot of fun. All of these are well built and accurate. And who knows what will be out when you get around to purchasing one. These would all be great used as well, provided they are taken care of.

Be sure to budget for a few magazines if you go semi-auto. Some are scarce and most are being gouged $$$ right now. Hopefully things will loosen up by the time you're ready.

Regardless of what you get, sign up for a Project Appleseed event http://appleseedinfo.org/ once you have a rifle. You'll learn an immense amount about being a rifleman and marksmanship. It's great for beginners and experts alike.