Recomendations for accurate 22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by semperfi666, Jan 11, 2013.

1. semperfi666

semperfi666 New Member

I'm looking for a bolt action 22

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Marlin xt22, savage, Remington, cz, ruger and mossberg all make good rifles.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sort of like I am looking for a fast car. Really? HOW fast??? Over here we have a Focus, a Fusion, a Corvette, a NASCAR stocker, and a AA fueler dragster. How much did you want to spend?

Marlin and Mossberg make nice reliable hunting grade rifles. For a bit more money, Savage 93. For more money, a CZ. For more money, a Remington 40X, or a Winchester 52 International Match.

Accurate can mean hitting tin cans at 50 yards, or hitting aspirin tablets at 100 yards. You need to tell us a bit about what you want to do.

PS- I have a few Mossberg target rifles from the 1940s. Tack drivers. I also do not want to carry those barbells disguised as rifles for an afternoon of squirrel hunting- they are heavy as hell, and made to shoot in a supported position.

Good questions generate good answers. So help us out here.

4. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard1718 New Member

I have a Savage MK-II BTV, with the Accu-Trigger. I haven't had a chance to get it out to the Range yet (Raining the last couple of weeks...), and try it out.

I did a LOT of Research on it before I - pardon the pun - "Pulled the Trigger", but I'll find out just how accurate it is, hopefully by next week.

Prior to buying the BTV, I had been looking for a Savage MK-II FVSR, also with the Accu-Trigger, but couldn't find one anywhere. By doing a Search for the Model NUMBER, instead of the Model NAME, I managed to find one last night! It's already in "SHIPPING" Status, as of today. Can't wait to get it!

Do some Research on the Savage Line, and see if they will meet your needs. I opted for the Savage Brand, because the Accu-Trigger is Adjustable from 2.5 to 6 Pounds. That, and the Heavy Barrel they offer.

Best of Luck, and Please let us know what you find out there. We'd be interested to see what ends up on your "Short List"!

Cheers!

BB

5. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

Your budget and the use you will have for the gun matter in this question. You can buy 15 lb. bolt action bench rest .22's but they aren't much good for hunting unless you're hunting p'dogs from a portable bench.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as said, budget as to how much you would like to spend and what your definition of accurate can help us make better suggestions as to what might fit your needs or wants.

you can spend a couple of hundred and have a really good squirrel rifle at 50 yards, or couple thousand and have a match shooter that will leave a one hole group at 100 yards.

7. mbcoulter

mbcoulter New Member

For about $275 ($170 + $25 transfer fee + $75 scope) I put together a Savage Mark II FV that can do this at 100 Yards:

[​IMG]

And this at 50 yards:

[​IMG]

I'm sure there are plenty of rifles that can do better but I'm betting they would cost a bit more.

;)

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Rimfire paradise;

1907.jpg

ANSCHÜTZ 1907

1907A.jpg

ANSCHÜTZ 1907A

1827F.jpg

ANSCHÜTZ 1827F

9. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I accidently... In my pants :(.

But really, i just purchased this rifle based upon the MANY great things ive heard about savage. It seems all of their 17/22lr/22mag rifles receive amazing reviews all across the board. You cant go wrong with them.

image-3886470563.jpg

10. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

The best bang for my buck was the Savage Mark II.:) Cliff

11. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Save up money and buy an old
    U.S.M.C. Remington 40x 22 training rifle. Their accuracy is still unmatched

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Can't say enough about the CZ 455 varmint. I installed a YoDave trigger kit and I'm down to 18oz at the trigger with no creep. And since the barrels are interchangeable, you can buy a 22lr and then later one buy a replacement barrel in .17 HMR and .22 Mag. And also Lilja makes a drop-in match barrel as well. Under $500 for a gun that will easily put 5 shots inside a dime at 50 yards for me. You want better than that, get the Anschutz 64. You want to spend a little less, get a Savage.

13. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

I like the cz too. But i own one. ;) i have seen the savages shoot very well too. But the finish on the cz is that of a much higher price.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Before I bought my CZ, I also considered Savage. I looked at the BTVS and the one that has the twisted flutes on the barrel. What gave my pause on the Savage and made me pick the CZ was the cheaper feel of the Savage. The action just felt thin and weak compared to the CZ. But I had saved up enough money that I wanted the best I could afford. If you're working within budget constraints, I would have no problem recommending the Savage if the CZ was outside your budget. They are still good guns.

15. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I have a CZ 453 (best rifle in the 45X series IMO) and a Savage MkIIBTV. The Savage is more accurate and has had a lot less problems. I know people don't like to hear that but it's true. From the bolt not working to RUST to the trigger not working to the really soft wood that gets dings very easy even though it's walnut I had a lot of problems with my CZ the first year I owned it. It seems to have gotten better. The trigger works all the time now and the bolt doesn't stick and I switched preservative oil and no more rust. And it will not shoot as accurate as my Savage. It's very close but no cigar.

I'm not saying all those things will happen with every CZ. I seriously doubt they will. They do "seem" to be built better but there's that thing of having more problems with the CZ. I have no problem saying the Savage is the better deal. I'm not about to sell either rifle but if push comes to shove the CZ will go first.

16. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

What kind of ammo u shooting jeff??

I have had no such problem with my cz455 varmint. Not even one problem. Given i have only had it for a few months i have shot it about 8 times and over 2k rounds and out shot a few savages at the range. I think the savages are pretty nice and shoot well but after shooting one i knew i did right buying the cz. Mine is kinda picky on ammo but most target 22 are anyway.

17. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have an old remington 512 sportmaster bolt action and its super accurate. The wood stock was a little beat up and I got it for next to nothing. It shoots and functions just fine.

18. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I shoot everything from CCI SV to Tenex and Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match. The Federal gives me the best groups these days. Wolf did for a long time but for some reaon it just got less accurate in both my Savage and my CZ. I shoot a good bit of Eley Black EPS too. It shoots really well for me.

As for the problems it surprised me too. I should have taken photos of the rust because no one seems to believe me. I guess I could cook some up in Photoshop. :) ;) But I wouldn't do that.

Again the problems seem to have gone away now. The bolt problem must have been a burr that got knocked off. The rust was fixed by going with a different wipe down oil.

I guess I just got that one that slips through once in a while. I don't know what else to think but they aren't perfect rifles. Nobody makes perfect rifles.

19. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

I do believe u.. seen some weird stuff from many manufacturers. Like u said no body is perfect. Sounds like u got the first gun made after a long holiday for some cezch guy.

U are using better ammo than i usually use. I havent gone with anything above eley club as of yet. Eley sport at 50yrds had been working very good so why change.

20. junkguy

junkguy New Member

I was given an old Mossberg 144 made in 1949 or 50 that is stupid accurate--this was the military training version of the model 44 civilian rifle--got new recruits used to shooting cheaply without a lot of recoil--(gun is so heavy it has none)--was even used to train snipers--gets boring putting one in another--my youngest daughter shot it for the 1st time in a snow storm @ 100 yds (can't make it too easy)--bulls eye hits!