Recomendation on online or correspondance courses

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by iluv2shoot2, Jun 4, 2011.

1. iluv2shoot2

iluv2shoot2 New Member

I want to learn more on gunsmithing. I am a journeyman machinest/tool and die maker so I can handle the tooling. What I need is some recomendations for a course on the subject. Any or all sugestions are requested. (Or did I leave myself open on that statement)

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The AGI DVDs are the best of the videos that I've seen. IMO the correspondence courses are a waste of money.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

3. iluv2shoot2

iluv2shoot2 New Member

After I made this post I researched the subject, doing things backwards as usual. But I come by it honest, I was born backwards. My feet smell and my nose runs. Anyway, a previous post covered that. I love to learn, and now that I have been forced into not working I need another project, and gun working/refinishing is always something I wanted to learn but had no time to do it. I do not know of any smiths around here to apprentice myself to so I have to rely on self-study, wich I enjoy anyway. Where can I get the info you recomended?

4. stalkingbear

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There are many books on gunsmithing. I have around 30 or so. At Brownells they sell the "Gunsmith Kinks" set of 4 books-a wealth of knowledge in just 4 books. Also you might want a couple of exploded view books(although now many exploded views can be found on the web). 22's and shotguns can often be purchased for $100 or less and make good practice pieces.

6. stalkingbear

You can NEVER have enough gunsmithing books. The AGI videos do cover some things pretty good however.

7. iluv2shoot2

iluv2shoot2 New Member

Thanks a lot Gentlemen for your input. The more research I do, the more excited I get about the whole idea of gunsmithing. I've asked some friends to look out for a small Bridgeport and a 10 inch lathe. That and maybe a surface grinder should do it for big tools, then the tooling. and small tools. I have a project again. Who knows, it may be an interest that will pay for itself!!

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Like firearms, buy the best quality tools you can get (not Harbor Freight). Although rare, there may come a time that the 10" lathe may not be enough.

9. stalkingbear

If you're planning to do barrel work you'll need a 30" center to center lathe. You could get by with a 24" center to center for awhile but it would make sense to get a 30" to start with. Powerfeed is nice on the mill and minimum 2 axis.

10. iluv2shoot2

iluv2shoot2 New Member

You would need a lead screw on the lathe for cutting threads too. Good advise on the lathe size. To much money to have to back up and redo it. 2 axis on the mill should work, you can get attatchments to do just about whatever you want to do. Wouldn't it be nice to have a CNC in a home shop!!