Firearms Talk banner

recoil spring

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  G21.45 
#1 ·
I just bought a new glock 21 45 acp and i shot a few rounds through it and it jammed, once i got home and cleaned it i noticed that the recoil spring slipped off the barrel where it should be setting in the half moon shape of the barrel.Anybody else had this problem.

#3 ·
My S&W .45 has the same style spring (half moon)
This happens sometimes when the spring is not fully in place.
When you clean the gun, just make sure the sping is fully in place.

#5 · (Edited)
I assume you mean the spring came loose from the guide rod. That's the plastic rod under the barrel. If it came lose from the guide rod, I'd say there's a problem with the guide rod. If it's a Gen 3 pistol, then the spring should be retained by the guide rod. If not - you should replace the rod. They're pretty cheap if you get another factory rod. I replaced the guide rod on my 21 with a tungsten rod and 13 lb spring (the factory spring is 15lbs). The result was better handling - less felt recoil.

Hope this helps...

FG

Edited to add - You might want to contact Glock and they will probably send you another rod and spring...

#6 ·
the plastic guide rod will fail eventually due to splitting, etc. Some folks get lots of trigger time on it and others fail more quickly. It's an issue Glock is looking into which may result in a metal guide rod option/replacement. You can go with a stainless encapsulated set up for about $20.00. Tungsten will cost more but gives you more weight which helps to control muzzle flip.

#7 ·
I assume you mean the spring came loose from the guide rod. That's the plastic rod under the barrel. If it came lose from the guide rod, I'd say there's a problem with the guide rod. If it's a Gen 3 pistol, then the spring should be retained by the guide rod. If not - you should replace the rod. They're pretty cheap if you get another factory rod. I replaced the guide rod on my 21 with a tungsten rod and 13 lb spring (the factory spring is 15lbs). The result was better handling - less felt recoil.

Hope this helps...

FG

Edited to add - You might want to contact Glock and they will probably send you another rod and spring...
well the plastic broke and the spring went fling
but my gun store promptly fixed the prob
and gave me a new spring

#8 · (Edited)
:) Here's a hot new flash for ya! The recoil guide rod assembly (includes the spring) is not supposed to sit in that half moon ASSEMBLY NOTCH when the slide and frame are together.

You need TO VERIFY that new pistol AND yourself as well. There's nothing wrong with your new polymer frame Glock that running three or four hundred rounds through it won't cure.

Last report I heard: Illinois State Police = 750 rounds fired before a Glock is released from the armory for field service. My Glocks? 500 rounds each before I carried either one of them. You've got some shooting to do!

PS: OK, if it's just a range gun then it doesn't matter. This said: It's a good idea to stay away from tungsten rods because, sometimes, they cause binding; and, the standard factory spring weight for the G-21 is 17#'s. A 13# recoil spring will certainly reduce perceived recoil; however, if your loads aren't designed to match that light weight spring, you may also start to get FTF's. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.