Recoil reduction

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Redneck420, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Redneck420

Redneck420 New Member

Is it possible to put enough/too much recoil reduction equipment on your gun to make it go forward really fast instead of going backward against your shoulder like it's supposed to?

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Yep. It'll fly right outta your hands.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

laws of physics say no.

laws of movie physics say yes.

pick the one you like best :)

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

but of course! too much and it will beat the bullet to the target!:eek:

seriously, weight is your friend when it comes to recoil. large magnum calibers that arein a light rifle package are fine for a hunter carrying the rifle all day long up and down hills and such, who might make a couple of shots in a day. target shooters can use more weight and can shoot more rounds in a day, before the recoil becomes tiring.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Y'all stop picking on this poor feller...

Stoned redneck (did I get that right? ;)), no, the rifle will not fly forward.
    Funny thing though, there have actually been cases of fighter jets outrunning their own bullets and shooting themselves down.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

No...you cannot change the direction or lessen the force of the recoil, all that you can do is disperse it into the inner assembly or have the weight (mass) of the rifle absorb it. The rule that every force has an equal and opposite force cannot be broken in the real world...Hollywood is another story. :)

7. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Oh, you mean the OP wasn't joking.

8. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Yeah, you know I put too much recoil reducing equipment on one of my guns, and sent it flying down the range off the bench rest. It's a bad idea, I'd be careful with that stuff.

In all seriousness, that would never happen. It denies all principles of physics and is impossible.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I really don't think he is. Judging by his posts, I get the impression he's a total noob to firearms.

We may be starting with a completely blank slate to corrupt here guys...

10. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Sounds like a good time...

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

They sell all manner recoil reducing devices - most help incrementally while others are outright lies. Everyone & their dog has some manner of test to back their claim.

12. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

It depends on where you are. In Alabama all things are possible!!

13. Garadex

Garadex New Member

If this is true I want to see an official story.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's as true as I can tell.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Tiger138260.htm

It supposedly also happened in a unit under the command of General Chuck Yeager, a Starfighter I believe.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Can someone pass that story on to VikingDad ? We have a bet going on his son cutting a playing card @25yds and this story might embolden him. ;)

Military channel doesn't site this "accident" but there was a period when they took the guns out of our fighter planes in lieu of missiles. Naturally, they didnt work as advertised and pilots got shot down by lower tech MIGS.

The Navy, being the Navy, was "slow" to react. (Army vs Navy - what do you call 100 men on a ship ? 50 couples...:D. The joke is very old but close to reality now...)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Not sure how the story would embolden me or the boys, I have heard the story and Chuck Yeager does mention the phenomenon in his auto-biography. I believe it is possible within the laws of physics, albeit very hard to believe. Doesn't mean it can't happen and I am not going to argue the point with General Yeager in any case.. My sons have tried cutting a playing card in half with a .22 LR and they found it to be quite easy and repeatable. The challenge (I'm not aware of any bets on it) was if they could light a match with a bullet. We have talked about it and they are intrigued. They are going to start with rifles and if they can do it with a 10/22 then they will try it with the 22/45. I think I suggested that they try with the Blackhawk with a .38 Special handload as they is pretty darned accurate and repeatable as well as the larger bullet diameter would add more surface area available to strike the match head. Maybe we could build up a load for the .454 Casull in a .45 LC for an even greater diameter. In any case we won't be doing any shooting until after Christmas.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Can they use tracer ammo?

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Sure. I'll run that up the flagpole. Just happen to have some in a couple of calibers. Also can try some incendiaries.

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

There was wager in the thread title - I viewed it as a friendly gentlemens variety - dont really recall if it was playing card or match stick. Started w cigarette.

You were pro, someone was con n - I was betting on the immortality of youth. The jet was a million to one shot story - it would hopefully inspire & amuse your son. - you as well.

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Ah. OK. Gotcha. The boys have both read Yeager's AB, so we have talked about it in that context. Pretty much they are inspired by any trick shot and I enjoy it when they try them out.