Recoil Pads for 338 Win Mag

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Stevesdl, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Stevesdl

Stevesdl New Member

Hi All,
    I have done some searches on a few of my joined forum sites but have not found a good definitive answer regarding a comparison of the Limbsaver and Kick-eez recoil pads.

Has anyone had a good (or bad) experience with the performance of either or both pads using a high powered rifle like a 338 or 300?

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in 338 Win Mag just in case someone else has the same.

Thanks ahead of time
    STevesdl

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Pachmayr Decelerator pad. I have one on all my rifles, including the one pictured below. Your shoulder will thank you.

JD

Attached Files:

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I put the Limb Saver on my Savage 110 in 30-06. My 110 did not have a recoil pad , just a hard butt plate. The Limb Saver is worth every penny I spent on it. The company boosts 80% less felt recoil and I whole heartedly agree.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Recoil pads only sissies and girls need recoil pads. Go with a nice steel butt place.

Shoot like a man.

[​IMG]

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Tango I'm going to have to swallow my pride because the lack of said recoil pad really affects my accuracy and make flinch like I got the hebee jebees. Alright, call me a b-atch.

6. Bohica6-284

Bohica6-284 New Member

Weatherby usually comes with a decent recoil pad, does yours not have one? Also, what loads are you shooting and what are you hunting?

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Shut up!

We know.

We get it.

You wake before the sun, You shave with your field knife, You do all sorts of manly-man activities that involve blood and grain and rocks and deer tremble at the sound of your name.

The rest of us would like to be able to shoot in comfort and enjoy the experience.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My 30-06 has a steel butt plate and I tell you what I walk with my right arm hanging down limp like a wet noodle after 50 rounds off the bench.

SO I will say go with the one Dillinger said to use.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Tango...you just crack me up! [​IMG]

Most of the time.....[​IMG]

Jack

10. Stevesdl

Stevesdl New Member

Thanks Dillinger _ the Pachmayr Decelerator was in the initial running but after talking to a few friends, the Kick-ezz and Limbsaver is reportedly better, at least for recoil reduction.

Thank Bohica6-284. I had posted another question regarding what might be the best bullet grain and bullet type that I can use for both practice and hunting (Elk and a possible Mule deer that gets in the way - Colorado) One answer mentioned the 225 SST yet. Whatever I use for practice is what I will use for hunting. (But I was looking for a decent bullet that is "not" in the $60-$70 price range. - I am not a rich man and I do plant to shoot 150 - 300 rounds perfecting the 338)

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't know who told you that. The Kick-ezz is an easier install, since you don't have to grind it to fit the stock ( to make it look nice ).

The Limbsaver is a great recoil pad, but for large bore weapons, we install the Decelerator, I would say, at a 5 to 1 clip over anything else out there.

The Decelerator is top notch high density poly something or other and it is a really great recoil pad. It does have to be custom fit, so that can be a challenge if you don't know what you are doing, but it's worth having one put on.

JD

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

And yet you don't have a recoil pad....you are a man of men. :D

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i second that. i hunt with .458 winmag and .458 Lott i have that pad on both rifles. one is a winchester Model 70 african and the other is a CZ550 in .458 Lott. ive tried limb saver on my winchester and switched it out for the pachmyer. the pachmyer looks better it fells better to shoulder the weapon it doesnt have that mushy rubber feel than the limbsaver has. the pachmyer works better in cold weather and hot weather than the limbsaver.

i do a LOT of shooting with my .458's go with the pachmyer