Recoil Pad

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by OLD Ron, Nov 17, 2019.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

What is the best way to finish rubber after grinding it to fit ?
    polish rubber.JPG

2. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I just tape mine so the stock finish does not end up on them. No particular finish for the rubber that I’m aware of.

3. OLD Ron

After grinding the rubber to fit the stock it is dull & I thought it should look better than that .

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  4. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Buffer wheel maybe?

5. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I use progressively fines sand paper to smooth out the rubber but I don’t get it shinny. Maybe you can use some finish like the stuff you use to shine tires?

Caveman Jim and OLD Ron like this.
  6. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

We use to use shoe leather dye, sometimes shoe polish

Fine looking wood for a double barrel you have there. What make was it made for?

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. OLD Ron

The gun it all goes for is a Zabala Eibar dbl 12 ga.
    It has been in my rescue room a few years so I decided to get at it . Still need to find or make a firing pin for one side yet .

Rifling82 likes this.
  8. OLD Ron

I may try polishing it on my wheel . Loads of ideas running through my head . Just don't know what will work well & hold up .

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Try a natural oil, like castor oil or nut oil. Some folks swear by wiping peanut butter on dull rubber, obviously for the peanut oil.

I'd prefer that rubbing off on my clothes over a petroleum based oil or shoe polish.

10. OLD Ron

Yes the rubbing off would be a pain .

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

You probably don't need to be told to test it on a different piece of rubber first. That recoil pad looks too good to mess it up on trial solutions.

Caveman Jim and OLD Ron like this.
  12. OLD Ron

I will have junk test pieces all over the place ....... then do that one just once & done . The long term is what I wonder about . Don't need a tire track on my arm . Not a show horse here but avoid skid marks when I can . :rolleyes:

13. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

With a test piece I would try flame polishing. All depends on the rubber as to if it'll work that's why I say need a test piece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_polishing

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Ron
    Go to Midway USA, Larry Potterfield has an excellent video presentation on installing the But Pad!
    IF you have the Pad already fitted. I would suggest you put some tape on the stock in front of the But Pad to protect the wood and finish. And then take some real fine Sand Paper on a wood backer or by using two fingers tightly together and gently sand the Rubber to smooth out the surface. I have done this before.

Caveman Jim, kfox75 and OLD Ron like this.
  15. OLD Ron

Me with a torch in my hands & a hunk of rubber ...... Now what could go wrong there ? lol
    Is soot easy to get off walls ? :D

16. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I would just rub a little Ballistol on the part that you buffed and call it a day.

towboater likes this.
  17. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I'd try ArmorAll on a piece of similar stuff. Heck use it on that pad. You replaced it oncet for $12, you can do it again if you have to.

towboater likes this.
  18. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I normally wipe the sides down lightly with silicone. Brightens up the look and will not affect most all stock finishes. :cool:

What grit did you use to fit the pad? Once shaped to the stock toe and heel, you shouldn't need to go further, if the correct grit belt or disc was used.

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. SGWGunsmith

RJF22553 and Rifling82 like this.
  20. SGWGunsmith

Here's a couple of pictures involving a project ( yah another one ) that I hope to finish up soon. This is a Siamese Mauser that's been converted to .45-70 caliber:
    [​IMG]
    The Pachmayr recoil pad has been lightly wiped with clear silicone, which will protect rather than harm these pads. At least that's what I've actually experienced for 35+ years:
    [​IMG]

The side by side shotgun stock on the left still needs a recoil pad attached.

OLD Ron, PeeJay1313 and Rifling82 like this.