Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Savage Axis 308 that could use a recoil pad as the one on it is getting bad. What is the size of a pad do I need, small, medium or large? I called Savage and they didn't know as they don't have replacement pads. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custom grind to fit
I found out that the axis isn't made the old way like most synthetic stocks. This is the newer version and the pad and spacer is one piece and installing a slip on after removel makes it too short because of the spacer built into the pad and slip on over the pad makes it too long. I gotta figure something out. here is a pic of a gun like mine.
Light Air gun Trigger Grey Line

·
Registered
195 Posts
You have to take measurments of your pad ... replacement pads come in small - medium - large , the pad maker will have the dimensions of each size ... order a pad larger than the one on your rifle .
The old pad removed , the new pad screwed on and then sanded down to fit on a belt sander .
You can sand down to wood and refinish the stock or apply a layer or two of Tape on the stock and sand the new pad down to the tape ...if careful you have a close fit and don't mess up the stock finish .... be verrrry Carefulll when sanding to the tape !
Gary

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I measured and with a tape I got 4 7/8" or close to that from bottom to top, would that be medium or small? Also would armour all help protect the pad? thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or just get one of these. View attachment 251670
I decided to go with BEARTOOTH neoprene recoil pad, made in USA and covers over the bad look of the factory pad. Didn't use the spacers as I don't need them just something to help the looks and prevent the stickiness. Gonna save for a new stock and I hope to have enough saved before November to get one, being on a fixed income makes it hard to save much at a time. thanks for all the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts