Recoil buffer

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by dgray64, Jun 4, 2013.

1. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

I've got a CZ40B that is super accurate, but when you shoot anything, but moderate loads in it, it recoils so bad (slide to frame) that the trigger vibrates enough to hurt. I've got buffers on my Glocks that really help, but this CZ is the gun that needs one and I haven't been able to find one. Does anyone use buffers? Know where I can get one? Thanks.

Dave

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Have you tried a next level higher-weight spring? Perhaps the current spring is weak. Perhaps the ammo is hotter than average. Perhaps it was designed that way to prioritize function over comfort and frame-life (which can be hurt by too HEAVY a weight spring as well)...

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yup, Wolff Springs extra stiff kit is what you need. The only time a buffer pad is needed is when there is frame cracking issues because of recoil.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you did find a buffer, the slamming you are experiencing is just going to shred the buffer apart. Then you are back to where you started.

Recoil springs should be changed regularly.

(Are you shooting factory or reloads?)

5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have to agree with Hock on this one. Some guns are designed as a carry/life saving gun and not a regular shooter. The recoil spring is the key to your problem and a buffer should be used only as a last resort. Some short-barrelled guns have two springs, one nested in the other, to handle the recoil in the shorter distance. Wolff springs are by far the best replacements, but if that doesn't work, at least have a conversation with a gunsmith to see if he can find a failing in the gun or offer a solution.

6. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

A well balanced spring will solve your problem.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Was there any work done on the hammer spring?
    Are you experiencing any signs of "over-pressure"?

The recoil spring works with the hammer spring to manage recoil, but the main purpose of the recoil spring is to return the slide to battery position.

8. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

No modifications have been done to any of the springs. Like all CZ guns, it throws the brass about as far as the bullet. I'll try changing the recoil spring out, but if I can find a buffer, I'll add it just to ease metal to metal contact during recoil. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you updated.

Dave