rechambering

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hjay1968, Feb 27, 2011.

1. hjay1968

hjay1968 New Member

I have a Savage model 12V in .222 over 20 gauge and was wondering if it's worth having it rechambered to .223? Or if it's even possible.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

its totally possible as they both use .224 bullets. ive seen m1 garands converted to 458winmag... will it raise the value?? no. your not going to recoup the money on a resale so the sole determiner would be for your own enjoyment.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am a big fan of the 223. But the 222 is a more accurate cartridge plus it burns less powder and is slightly quieter.

4. hjay1968

hjay1968 New Member

I'm not looking for resale value, it's going to be passed down to my kids. I was looking at the fact that .223 ammo is easier to find and cheaper than .222. I'm just getting into coyote hunting with some friends and instead of buying a new rifle, I thought this would be a better option with the shotgun barrel included. Thankyou.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

It is going to cost you just about as much to rechamber it as it would to go and get a Howa 1500 set up or a H&R Handi Rifle.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

How much can it cost. Rent a finish reamer and head space gauge. I would so do it!

7. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

Jon, a garand rebarreled to 458 win mag? Me thinks you are dreaming.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nope no joke almost did one myself when I discovered the 458socom. Videos of em on youtube. There is a gunmaker that you send em a garand plus 2500$ and they send ya a functioning semi auto 458. I believe it was mccannindustries makes them custom smiths.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  9. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

Jon i did some searching and he did do it but with a very extensive mod, was it worth 2600 plus a good garand? nope not in my opinon, but then we all have our opinons.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Maybe I am missing something here! Regarding an M-1 Garand being converted to some of the other calibers. As I understand they do not recommend shooting modern spec 30-06 ammunition through one due to high chamber pressures of the new modern 30-06 Rounds. And Hornady is making supposedly loading M-1 Garand pressure range ammunition for them? Must be one heck of a modification for some of the other ammunition to be used in one. And as was mentioned taking an historic M-1 Garand out of service makes me Ill. But it isn't mine! I only think of the history of these fine rifles and what they are. I am sure I will learn something from this post!

11. Catfish

Catfish New Member

A coyote will not be able to tell the difference between a bullet shot from a 223 and a 222, and for the price of haveing it rechambered you can buy alot of 222 ammo.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats why i never went that route but went with the socom instead. evidently from my research on this conversion at the time it was thoroughly tested and the garand excelled with the 458 winmag even the big 510grn loadings. its a big bullet but the cartridge itself doesnt generate all that much pressure.

the recomended garand according to the company at the time was one that was beatup or abused.

im a huge fan of the 458 winmag and 458 lott been shooting the 458 winmag since the late 80's mainly for whitetail deer hunting. i branched out to hog hunting which was what prompted me to seek a big bore semi-auto. i stumbled across that looking for one. then found the 458socom.

so i did a lot of research on caliber conversions. hence my reply to the OP whose thread we hijacked :)

13. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

jon that makes two of us, years ago i ordered a 98 action from federal firearms with a 458 win mag, i loved the darn thing but of course i was young, just out of the service and thought it was the thing. i still have the bbl'd action and will put in a stock one of these days, never could keep one on it. i think i paid somewhere around 15 bucks for a box of 500 grainers back then.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

i load my own my deer load and typical range load is a 350grn softpoint about 2300ish fps. my winmag is a winchester mod 70 classic super express