Recently bought a Krag-Jorgensen model 1898.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ivandog48, Dec 4, 2013.

1. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

If you have heard these Springfield made rifles are the smoothest bolt action rifle ever made, believe it. This one is in excellent condition. I also own a K98k Mauser, M1917 Eddystone made Endfield, and a Remington made 03-A3. The Krag is by far the smoothest. It shows wear on the receiver, from Spanish American war I hope. If you are not familiar with these rifles, they load through a unique loading gate on the side. I love old military arms and this is my favorite - except for my M-1 Garand. Had a friend dig around in his storage shed and pulled out a ammo can with 250 rounds of 30-06 and gave them to me. Made in 1956. I found 53 rounds were tracer! They were pretty tarnished but all have fired so far. I would love to find some military FMJ ammo for the Krag though. Anyone have 30-40 Krag ammo in FMJ?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

So you got a KJ with the lunchbox on the side, huh? Those are REALLY neat rifles- and frequently overlooked. I did have a couple of rounds of guard ammo for a 30-40. Those were multi-part bullets intended for guard duty- small bits weigh less, do not travel as far (in theory)

You DO realize that original military FMJ ammo would have been mercuric primed, and well over 100 yrs old by now? All of the new ammo I see is PSP- if you want FMJs, I think you are going to have to roll your own!

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

Like to help you out Ivan, but I need the ammo for my Krag.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The KJs were sold by the NRA for a few bucks. Many out here in the West were converted to the .25 Krag. I have one that was carried by a big game guide years ago. :)

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My experience with bolt actions is pretty limited, but I did pick up a Krag in a shop a while back. You're right. The actions on those are as smooth as butter.

6. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

You are correct c3 shooter! But when demonstrating the KJ, the soft lead tips sometimes hang up on a receiver joint. A FMJ would slide right over it. They would not be fired. Just used for demo purposes.

7. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

Don't really understand why our troops with their Krags felt they were outgunned by the Spanish and their 7MM Mauser rifles. The ballistics do favor the Mauser somewhat. The Krag holds five rounds vs seven in the Mauser. The Mauser uses a clip to replenish the magazine. But dropping five rounds in the Krag is quick. But none of these reasons are convincing to me. The Mauser was one of the rifles that competed in the evaluation by the US ARMY that the Krag eventually won. We won the Spanish American War, but our guys came back feeling they needed something like the Mauser. This led to the development of the Springfield '03. What was it about the Mauser that made them feel this way? Any ideas?

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have been lucky enough to inherit 2 Krags. An 1892 and an 1890 that my uncle thought was made overseas...

9. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

i dunno shot a krag and a ross. The ross felt like a really smooth action to me as well.

10. msup752

msup752 New Member

My brother has the family hand me down Krag. It has a factory short barrel (Calvary model I guess) and a serial number less than 150. I wish we could trace its lineage as it could have been used by the Rough Riders.

11. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

LOL, everytime I see a Krag Springfield post, I want to kick myself for missing out buying one at a gunshow.

At a gunshow a couple of years ago, I ran into an elderly gent in his late 70s, whose son was one of the dealers there and he will mention bringing a Krag to sell that he'd inherited from one of his uncles. We went to his son's booth and I checked out his Krag. Darn nicely sporterized it was and in very good condition with a truly beautiful blue on the metal. It was so nice and because the elderly gent often helped his son work gunshows, automatically told myself it was too expensive for me. Gent asked me to make an offer and I replied, "sorry, the amount of cash I have left on me would be an insult to you for this rifle, I have to pass on it." "You will get a lot more for it than I can pay and left the booth."

OK, a couple of weeks later, there is another gunshow and the son of the gent with the Krag has a booth. I will stop by to check his wares and chat with him. Asked him if his dad had sold the Krag. Son rolled his eyes and said, "yea, shortly after you'd left the table some guy came along and Dad sold him the Krag for $150. I almost cried. The son felt the same way.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Where are the Pictures!!??!!! :confused:

13. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

Okay, here are some photos of my Krag-Jorgensen. Also one of my M1917 WWII Enfield made by Eddystone Arsenal I recently bought. By the way, Eddystone was a locomotive manufacturer that also made rifles. Eddystone made more M1917's than either Winchester or the main Remington plant by a large margin. Most WWII soldiers (2/3 to 3/4) carried these .30-.06 Enfields during the war. Alvin York carried the M1917 to Europe but reportedly traded it for the 03' Springfield as he preferred the v-notch sights. By the way, the Enfield did not have wind age adjustment on it. You used Kentucky windage after you learned how your rifle shot. The factory adjusted the front sight to shoot true at 200yds then staked it with a punch.

Attached Files:

14. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

The Krag was my first rifle, my Dad said if you can shoot it you can have it, hell I barely could hold it up but I did own it!
    A Stevens single shot 12 gauge was earned the same way and it was always loaded with the hottest rounds I could find, how freakin dumb was that..lol...but it was mine!
    I wish I had kept the Krag but dollars were short and I traded for a 1903 Springfield 30-06 and it has been a love affair since then....:p

15. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

The Krag was my first rifle, my Dad said if you can shoot it you can have it, hell I barely could hold it up but I did own it!
    A Stevens single shot 12 gauge was earned the same way and it was always loaded with the hottest rounds I could find, how freakin dumb was that..lol...but it was mine!
    I wish I had kept the Krag but dollars were short and I traded for a 1903 Springfield 30-06 and it has been a love affair since then....:p

16. samnev

samnev New Member

IIIRC you have to be careful in loading the side folding magazine as one rim could get behind the next instead of in front of it and the rifle would not feed properly.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Be careful if you roll your own. They are not strong actions.

18. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a krag in 6.5x55, SMOOTH accurate and fun to shoot. need to work the bolt quickly or sometimes the soft point will hang up. Ballistic tips seem to be the smoothest. I have some Barnes X but have not tried them yet. (Shaw barrel) Just stay with the lower pressure loads in the krags. Another one of those " If you need a magnum, Get a magnum!":)

19. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I've never seen or heard of these rifles before. Nice! Hickok45 has a great video on this rifle.
    [ame]http://youtu.be/UdL_PROUKlE[/ame]

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Some history on the Krags as told to me first by my Uncle who was a dealer and collector aside from being a policeman. Orig. The Krags Were designed and built in the Netherlands(Danish I think) first, and then the US began building them after 1892...