recent 1896 swede mauser photos

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by surplusaddict, Dec 27, 2013.

1. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

After noticing the danish proof mark on barrel, it must have been rearsenaled? Can anyone help with info. The last 3 numbers on both stock and hand guard have been restruck to match and barrel serial has larger styled numbers.

ForumRunner_20131227_114954.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

surplus,

Man that looks like a nice rifle! I am looking forward to seeing the responses to your Thread regarding it, the stamps and etc.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

There is as much wrong as is correct. It is a rifle that unless seen in person would be difficult to tell you ant solid info on. If it was sold to Holland, Norway it will have acceptance stamps. It could have been re-struck at any time in its' life by a field armorer or the armory itself to force match it. I have one that the barrel bands are 1 digit off from a marching rifle. It is one of those oddities that happens. I also have a 1942 Husqvarna M38 that has an Elm stock that the original serial number was lined out and restamped w/ the same number as the receiver. So an old stock from a 1915 M96 was repurposed and made into a drill rifle in 1942. The rifle is all matching except the butt plate that was replaced from being hit on the ground. Without actually seeing the rifle up close, can't give you any answers. The bolt is completely wrong for the rifle also.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I can tell you that it is a Carl Gustafs stads Gevärsfaktori & that the bolt handle used to be straight !...............

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Jpatersoon, A very fine analysis with very limited information available.:)

6. jpattersonnh

Thank you. I really hate the instant spell check. It must have been written by the current administration. I always end up with some stupid words. Matching becomes marching, any becomes ant. It is turned off now.

7. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

I don't know what to think about this rifle, now I wish If I knew if the bolt was professionally bent because there aren't any torch marks or ripples on the bolt. It must've been redone by the danish. Idiot me took the rack tag off when I got it home also, it was a white piece of tape on the stock, with "70" on it. :(

8. jpattersonnh

The Bolt body could be from an M38. I would not sweat the small stuff, they are all great shooters. With the Danish stamp it is not your normal M96 to begin with.
    Bet it shoots great. Take her out, you'll find a new respect for the rifle. As I said, there is no way to actually know what went on with it. Part of the allure of C&R firearms.

9. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

It looks like the Danes put a new firing pin, walnut stock, and barrel; since the serial number font is larger but matches the rifle. Bore and chamber full of Cosmo. Oh well, I bought it from some swede dealer at a gun show for $200 and a trade. If only this puppy could talk. In the spring I'll take it to the range.

10. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

Thanks everyone for your insight on this rifle. Happy New Years.