Reccomend a Shot Gun...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Vertiviper, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member

I'm in the market for my first shotgun.

The purpose (not sure if one exists): home defense, clay/trap shooting (on occassion).

Budget ~$400

Is it possible??

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sure.

Used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Both should be around $250-$300 in very good shape.

Not so much for shooting clays in competition - but for just going to the range and banging out a few boxes of shells, they will treat you right.

JD

3. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member

I was lookin at the 870, feels nice, i think it even comes in a synthetic stock.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Bascially the Chevy small block of the shotgun world. More add ons available than just about anything in the gun market, short of the Reminton 700 of course, and EVERYONE can work on the damn things. They run, they run well and they are reliable.

They aren't the most cutting edge design, but they have been around for as long as they have been for a reason. Durable. Reliable. And they don't cost an arm a leg to get into....

Just a thought for your price range...

JD

5. tommybommy66

tommybommy66 New Member

Oh yeah, EASILY get one for under $400. Once in a while MC Sports has a Mossberg 500 combo (vent rib barrel and rifled barrel) for $250. Dunham's Sports also has the Mossberg 500 combo on sale with a scope for $300 all the time. You will have no problem getting a shotgun on that budget.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Shotgun home defense, to me, is short barrel (easy to swing in tighter spaces) smooth bore for large buckshot (never bird shot in home defense).

Trap shooting is long smooth barrel with game loads.

Listen to TommyBommy66 and look at the Mossberg 500. Used 'bout $150-180. You can buy barrels for $130-175. No scope needed for either use. Combos can be had for less than $250. I love my Mossberg 500A. Use it for turkey, deer, home protect and trap.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I forgot to mention that the Mossberg 500 shoots both 2-3/4" and 3" shells while the 870 is 2-3/4" only. That is all. :)

8. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Hate to be argumentative, but I don't think they have made a 2-3/4" only Model 870 in 20 years.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know, that is kind of what I was thinking, but it's fight night, I have people over and, well, the drinks have been flowing. :p

JD

10. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I'll second that, my father-in-law shoots 3" shells from his 870 all the time. Don't forget about the 870 Express Super Magnum, which shoots everything from 2-3/4 up to 3-1/2" shells interchangably. Not that you need a 3" or 3-1/2" shell to kill your target. In my opinion, the only thing magnum shells are good for is kick the buck out of your shoulder. If I can't kill it with a 2-3/4, I probably won't kill it with a magnum. I'm sorry I just don't think (as well as know) you don't need a magnum shell to shoot the head off a turkey.

11. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Not on the 870. It comes out of the box able to shoot 2 3/4" and 3".. the 1100 semi-auto is 2 3/4" only, but that's a totally different shotgun.

Anyway, for home defense, you want a short barrel. Acadamy Sports carries the 870 and sells short barrels on one of their aisles. Get the 28" barrel for trap, then change it out for the 18 1/2" home defense barrel and sit it next to your bed when you get home. done!

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

There are actually MANY more Remington model 870s with 3" chambers than there are 2 3/4" only. Where did you get that nugget of misinformation? The older 870s were the 1s chambered for 2 3/4", and most of the express line is 3" capability. Having said that, who needs 3" for home defense?

13. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member

I was thinking the same. The question though is how tough is it to swap the barrel? I don't have much experience breaking down shotguns.

Would I be able to swap the barrel on this: http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700250779.html with one of these, maybe a 28": http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...a=&cm_ite=netcon&rid=0180101070502&hasJS=true

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  14. stalkingbear

It takes about 1 minute to change barrels on a Remington model 870. All you do is retract slide to rearward position, unscrew mag tube cap,slide barrel off forward, and do reverse to reinstall the other barrel. It just took me 3 times the amount of time to type how,as it actually would've took me to change barrels.

The 870 is MY personal choice for home defense shotgun.

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Well, that showed me. I have Mossbers and a couple of hunting buddies have 870's that are 2-3/4" only. Obviously, I was unaware (have not shopped for any) the the 870's take the 3". Good to know. However, I do agree that 3" shells are not needed. The 3-1/2" are just plain nuts to me. For deer hunting, there is quite a bit less drop for longer shots with the 3" shells. Home defense imo is short barrel and buckshot. :)

16. IDTANDY

IDTANDY New Member

Tristar cobra Nice pump regular stock or fold over the top with pistol grip.Unusal feature of this pump a spring return loads quicker.got mine for 300.

17. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

As mentioned in the post above, it is VERY easy to do. I won't go into the details, since he already did... but, if you can change your shoes, you can change the barrel on an 870. Shoes may be faster, if they are slip-ons or velcro. Otherwise, the 870 is quicker to do.

18. stalkingbear

Unless you live alone in an castle, with it's thick stone walls, you have it EXACTLY backwards. Out to 15 yards, birdshot is exactly what you want-NOT 00 buckshot, at least for the 1st couple rounds. at up to 15-20 yards, high brass #4 "turkey load" 2 3/4" WILL do EXTENSIVE damage, without over-penetrating (through walls, bad guys, etc) like 00 buckshot will.
    Try shooting something with the load I mentioned and you'll see what I'm talking about. Blanket statements such as yours violate standard gun safety (always have backstop) , and COULD result in your wife, kids, or even neighbors getting hit after 00 buckshot over-penetrating. PLEASE don't make recommendations such as that without knowing the possible outcome in ANY situation THEY may be involved in:eek:. AGAIN-#4 high brass or 2 3/4" magnum turkey loads are PLENTY to eliminate ANY person from any further acts of aggression, and instantly or very quick in the least. It is EVERY bit as deadly-if not more so as 00 buckshot. 00 buckshot WILL retain individual pellet energy to kill or injure loved 1s or neighbors AFTER passing through walls.

19. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member

That's actually a good point to bring up, stalkingbear. I know guys who think using an AR15 for home defense is a GOOD idea. They'll be the ones explaining to the police why they accidentally killed their neighbors or even worse their own family.

20. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member