Recapturing my youth with a Nylon 66!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Tackleberry1, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

About 4 weeks ago my boss called me down to his office to look at 3 guns he'd bought from a friend who was strapped for cash. He's not a gun guy, only bought them to help a friend, and wanted my opinion on his purchase.

The 1st was a near mint condition Browning Auto 5 with owners manual and original Browning soft case. I verified the SSN/date of manufacture and confirmed he had a pristine 1967 Belguim built Browning.

The second was an old H&R break open single shot with lots of rust and badly pitted. Nothing special there and I don't even recal the caliber bit I want say .410 G

The third long gun I pulled from it's case was a Remi Nylon 66! I recognized it the moment my hand closed on the grip and long before that trademark "white diamond" in the fore end was visible. My boss must have recognized the nostalgia in my eyes as I marveled at that brown plastic stock and nicely blued receiver. Years of taking dads 66 afield for squirrels, grouse, and anything else I thought might be edible flooded back. In hindsight I'm a little embarrassed I showed that much emotion over what is really a 100 to 200 dollar gun in today's dollars but I just could not help it.

I guess he wanted to express some gratitude for two contracts I've landed since looking at those guns for him because he wraped up the week by handing me that 66 this afternoon.

What a gesture! This is one of those rare gifts we receive in life that exemplifies the old saying, "it's the thought that counts".

Im scheduled for three hours of RSO training at my gun club this weekend. Looks like I'll need an extra hour or two to reacquaint myself with a old friend.:)

Tack

2. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

That's awful nice of your boss to do that. Congrats and have a blast at the reunion.

Thomas

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yeah, I thought so.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes it is. Is it the a or b model tack?

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Good question, how do I tell? It's been so long I had to watch a you tube video to take it apart.:eek:

Tack

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

A is tube fed threw the butt and B is clip fed. Then there is a rare one called a nylon 66 black diamond that is black w the black diamonds made of black mother of pearl

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Must be an A. It's tube fed from the buttock with brown stock and white diamonds. I'll look up SSN later to date it.

Thanks MM

TACK

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your welcome. Post pics and ill tell you what it is

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bad News...

After cleaning and inspection the barrel seems to be "bulged" 10.5" from the chamber. Looking down the bore I can see a clear ring at the bulge location. The rifling seems to be completely seperated at this "ring". Pushing first the brush, then a .22 LR jig w/patch through the bore indicates significant free space at this location.

I'm thinking this barrel is NOT safe to shoot. :(

Anyone know a good web site for a replacement barrel? I doubt these are in production anymore.:(

Tack

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Youll probably have to take it to a good smith tack. You might be able to find one at barrelpro.com if they are still in business but i kinda doubt it. You might also contact remington on the off chance they have one left

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Hard to see but the Q Tip is pointing at the bulge location.

I'll check Remi and the other site your recommended MM.

Tack

Attached Files:

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If you can't find a barrel get ahold of a good smith and have him make you a krieger barrel for it tack.

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I've seen my gunsmith bore out the barrel of an 1890 put a new rifled barrel sleeve in and then refinish. Yet, this much attention was on a family heirloom and the father was simply doing his level best to carry on the tradition.

Now Rossi made nylon 66 replicas for years after Remington gave up,the ghost. I have no idea if they will fit but you could get one real cheap.

Sounds like you have a barrel obstruction that wasn't cleared or was cleared HK style. In testing the USP line, the military jammed a shell halfway in the barrel and then fired. It created a slight bulge but the pistol continued to group 4" @ 25 yds.

After a gunsmith gives it a "go" you might still be able to use it as is....? Hell, I've seen stranger things....

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

DO NOT TRY AND SHOOT IT W A SLEEVE IN THE BARREL!!! Any man that trys that needs to have his head thumped. They do not work as well as people think. I repeat DO NOT TRY THIS.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Thats my guess. I'm thinking the previous owner did have a squib that lodged at 10.5" to 11" down the bore and fired again, bulging the barrel. Who knows if both rounds exited and they never knew?

I'm just glad I have a strict policy of always disassembling and inspection any gun BEFORE I fire it. This bulge was completely hidden by the 66's fore end and it's awful tough to get a GOOD look down a 66 barrel without taking it apart.

The gun was FREE so I cant complain. Just hope I can find a decent replacement barrel.

TACK

16. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Oh, congrats on getting the barrel off ! I had "issues" just getting the receiver apart and years of carbon residue came falling out.

17. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I recently saw the Apache model for sale - black plastic w SS or nickel finish.- problem was the price - $340. You can get a NIB almost anything w ammo for that price. Yet, who can put a price on a memory ?

I bought a copy of your gun in 1986 for 69.99 and being a poor starving college student, I shot the hell out of it. Was cleaned only when accuracy was really, really affected. Damn fool oiled it by accident and it wouldn't run for awhile but it dried up and now just refuses to die. Would like to buy new 10/22, 597 etc but I can't justify new gun if old one is still functional.

Was thinking about donating it to boys club but they prefer the clip fed guns for safety. :eek:

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Dont sell it and dont buy 597 bc they are pure junk

19. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

That's a pretty strong statement about the 597, what problems did you have with one. I've enjoyed mine it's a good shooter with no problems.

20. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Say, didn't they do that on purpose to hold the funky plastic stock in place? :D
    Just kidding...

Thank God those barrels are available from Numrich & Bob's Gun Parts for cheap! :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012