Rebuild Questions

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigBizz87, Apr 9, 2013.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

recently bought a DPMS AR im not new to the rifles just got it at a steal and wanted to know if something like this would be worth rebuilding all the internals just use the lower upper and barrel and start a quality AR build?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Maybe upgrade the trigger and shoot it is what I would do.

3. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

If she shoots good,the leave her alone.

4. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

It shoots straight just kinda rough trigger figured might aswell swap out the rest of the little things while I'm in there?

5. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

The fire group is all that comes out easily without punching out roll pins. Chalky triggers suck, swap them out. You putting In a drop in set up or a kit? I prefer a kit than a drop in.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

DPMS may not be top shelf, but there not so bad that you have strip everything and throw it away. Make sure the gas key is on tight and staked and enjoy shooting your AR.

7. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I was thinking a kit but not sure which to look for and which to stay away from any advice I want a light crisp trigger?

8. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Wasn't gonna toss the stuff was gonna keep It for back up parts what about kns non rotating pins?

9. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

There is a lot of brands: Jewlell , Jp, Cmc, Geissele , Timney, almost allot the American Brands have match grade triggers. There single stage or two stage. I guess a lot comes down to preference, shooting style and purpose. I personal just use single stage match grade triggers. I do fine with them. I actually have tried the Mega Arms trigger. I like it a lot. You can adjust the creep and the over travel out of it, it is light and crisp. That is just an opinion,It might not be for everyone.

http://megaarms.com/maten/maten-accessories/trigger/

Attached Files:

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Not necessary unless there are problems with the receiver and/or FCG.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you have a nasty trigger pull, first things first. Remove the FCG and clean it. Oil and lube it. Get some good oil or high quality grease on the sear surfaces and contact points. One great place to grease it is on the pins themselves.

Reinstall it, try it out. Then if it isn't any better, dry fire it a couple hours. (just make sure the hammer doesn't hit the reciever). I like to watch Walking Dead, Game of Thrones or whatever is on the dvr. Drives my wife nuts, but it will smooth out your trigger.

12. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Thanks for the info I will look into it now that I have a place to start from

13. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Thanks for te tips it not a terrible trigger just not super smooth looking to get a single stage trigger that is perfectly smooth if I can't get this one that way gonna try ur options first thanks again

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Alg makes a mighty fine trigger. Milspec single stage and very reasonabley priced.

15. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I looked into these triggers think i may Get the alg combat trigger its only $65 and seems like exactly what I'm looking for thanks so much for the great tip

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Combined it with JP reduced springs kit for a much better result. Only costs $10

17. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I will do that thanks for the tip I appreciate it

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

JP spring are great, the only downside is that you may have FTFs with hard primered mil spec ammo or the cheaper russian stuff. As alwasy, test it out. You can always lighten the hammer to compensate.

19. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Work great for me so far regardless what kind of ammo. Maybe my ARs use Spike's ST2 buffers in them.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Lightening the hammer spring MAY cause light primer strikes on hard primers. MAY being the key word. I've run into some issues with russian steel case. (MFS 55 gr and 62 gr, wolf 55 grain) Lightening up the hammer (grinding off the tail on my bench grinder takes about 20 seconds) solves this.