Rebluing touchup

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by loucip, Jun 23, 2012.

1. loucip

loucip New Member

Haves Kimber ultra carry that is showing some ware. Has anyone had experience with re doing spots on my gun.

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Birchwood Casey puts out some 'touchup' paint, one for steel & one for aluminum. I believe you can get it blue or black & you can get it in a bottle or a touchup pen similar to a felt marker pen. It does not really blend in real well & can be easily seen as a touchup job. But it does protect from rust. There are DIY coatings where you recoat the whole pistol, but I'm not familiar with them.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There are many brands of touch-up or cold blue. Brownells or Midway would have several. They will darken the metal but seldom match the original blue. Most every gun owner should keep some on hand for touch-ups if they are concerned about bluing wear. Or except the bluing wear for what it is - a working gun that is doing its job.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

A gun with wear is a loved gun :)

5. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

A home cold blue job will never look as good as those professionally done. But if it's just a teeny spot or a fade you can hide it from the naked eye.

Try the Birchwood-Casey bluing pen. It's cold bluing compound in a Sharpie felt pen. The pen helps control the flow of bluing and, on top of that, the felt tip acts as an agitator to help it penetrate the surface.

Always finish with some gun oil to neutralize the corrosive bluing compound.