Rebarreling M-98?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by gooose, Jul 17, 2010.

1. gooose

gooose New Member

Looking at a future project rifle. Lothar Walther sells finished barrels that their site says fits an 98 Mauser. My question is are all M-98's going to have the same threads for the barrel or are there variants?:confused: The rifle I would like to make is a 9.3x62 which will fit a standard length action.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

All conventional large ring Mausers are the same thread size-at least the 1s I've rebarreled. There are a few exceptions but they're rare.

3. gooose

gooose New Member

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Hope this helps.......

Jim..

Attached Files:

5. gooose

gooose New Member

Even better....a large ring 98 will work and also a Yugo.

6. gooose

gooose New Member

Lothar Walther sells barrels for the cartridge I want to build a rifle around. They are for large ring Mauser 98's and are chambered a bit long. Anyone have experience adjusting headspace on these barrels?

7. castelljohn

castelljohn New Member

Well yes to a certain extent....you will still need to headspace on each individual action...the "yugo" action is perfectly acceptable tho it is about a quarter of an inch shorter than a regular K98 action. I have two in the shop that will someday be a sporter..the yugos are IMO a well made action and will make into a nice sporter..finding an aftermarket stock is a bit of a problem but they are available

Ol' John

PS..the Lothar Walther barrels are excellent..have used a few over the years...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  8. gooose

gooose New Member

Looks like headspacing the long chambered Lothars means using a lathe to trim from the barrel breech. About 0.02 inches depending on the headspace measurement. No need to also trim from the barrel shoulder?

9. castelljohn

castelljohn New Member

The barrel shoulder may need to be trimmed...just depends. You need a depth micrometer with a "FLAT" anvil for the measurements. I am sure you are aware that the "C" ring inside the reciever is the primary torque shoulder and the receiver face is the secondary torque shoulder. Accurate measurements are necessary for the final "no stress" fit. Not that difficult...just need to be precise. If I can do it...anyone can..!

Ol' John

10. gooose

gooose New Member

Measure at least twice before even considering where and how much metal to remove.:D

11. sarge257

sarge257 New Member

Beware of the Turkish Mausers. Some of them that have the 98 shoulder on the reciever actually have the smaller Mdl 93, 95 barrel threads. The only way to tell is pull the barrel. However you can purchase a barrel threaded for the small ring Mausers, 93,95 and use it on a Turkish Mauser. It is actually a good deal because with the small hole in the receiver you have more steel around your chamber. I have made several hunting rifle with 308 or similar catridges and had no preasure problems.
    Sarge