Reasons for denial of CWP?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JoshH, Jun 19, 2012.

1. JoshH

JoshH New Member

I had a question come up from a friend who recently applied for his CWP in Utah. He is wondering if a DUI on his record will disqualify him. I figured this would be the place to ask the question. So has anyone know if a DUI can disqualify you for a permit?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Each state has statutes on who can and who cannot apply for a CWP.

This forum is international, and what is legal here may not be there.

I suggest that you research Utah's statutes, and if there are any other questions, get with an attorney.
    (Most here have not passed the BAR for Utah.)

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFreferences.html

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Not every state (or county in every state) has a shall-issue policy; you can be denied for any reason. That's the way it is in my county in New York. But they probably do have to tell you, in writing, why you have been denied the permit.

Around here, outright lies or lies of omission on your application will result in an automatic rejection.

Obviously, a felony conviction, pending charges for a felony crime, having a restraining order against you, being involuntarily committed to a psychiatric institution, etc. is an automatic disqualification even to purchase a firearm.

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Not to seem insensitive, but isn't this the sort of thing he should have sorted out prior to applying? Is this a resident or non-resident permit? If it's non-resident, does he have a permit in the state he lives in?

http://handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

He may have a problem.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can't speak for Utah, but here, a pattern of Alcoholism,

drug, or domestic abuse are all disqualifiers.