rear site removal

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lilrichthedragon, Mar 25, 2012.

1. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

how do I remove a site that is soldered on the chamber of my old springfield 22 rifle

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

They were normally silver soldered. Get a gun smith. Why remove the rear sight from the receiver? does it have another?

3. lilrichthedragon

I'm sorry didn't explain enough. basically some idiot tried to solder ether a rear site or a scope mount on the gun and it didn't work but there is a big blob of solder on the barrel. it doesn't affect performance it just makes the gun look ugly

4. jpattersonnh

Solder is not that hard. Grab your wifes or GF emery board and take it off. You may need a few.

5. lilrichthedragon

what if she doesn't have one

6. jpattersonnh

Go to the drug store or super market.

7. jpattersonnh

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Use some bare fine stranded copper wire like lamp cord and a soldering iron or gun. Lay the wire on the solder and heat. The wire will pull up the solder as it melts. You may need a little flux.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Or just heat it and wipe the solder off with a rag.

10. lilrichthedragon

ok will do does anyone know if cold blueing is worth applying

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"does anyone know if cold blueing is worth applying "
    cold blue has been made for at least 75 years and is currently made in probably 75 brands.
    But only you can decide if it is worth it for you. Some of the solder will be in the pores of the metal and that will have to be sanded out if you want the cold blue to look even.

12. lilrichthedragon

I tried it and it looks pretty good but had to use a heat gun. Its not factory blue but alot better than it was