Rear sight help

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by purehavoc, Jan 6, 2012.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My upper is scheduled to be here pretty quick and I already have my scope and QR mounts , I need a backup rear thats a little bit shorter than a Magpul when folded down , There isnt much info out there on how tall they are closed . I dont want a expensive BUIS since this will be just that a back up if the scope fails and its a decent scope so Ihope that never happens , I got the scope mounted up with my magpul under it but its a bit tighter than I like so Im looking for something else . Anyone got any keen ideas on whats a little bit shorter than the magpul ? I really have about 1/2" under the scope
    Thanks
    PH

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The Magpul Gen 2 BUIS are only 1/2" high when stowed. I don't think you're going to find anything less than that.

Here's a good closeup of mine mounted on my RRA:

Attached Files:

3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Here's another shot of my MBUS Gen. 2's from the other side.

Attached Files:

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My mounts arent that tall and my scope sits right on top of the Gen 2 it doesnt push down on it but its real close . Guess if thats what I have to do thats what I will do . I should have taken a pic .

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Given that I think the MBUS has the lowest profile of any of the folding rear sights available, I'm not sure you have much choice.

Would it be practical to use a 1/2" riser like this for your scope to provide more clearance?

Yankee Hill-RailExtensions 5-6"

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Larue makes a taller mount.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I ended up ordering a Troy battle rear, its just a hair under 1/2" which should give me just the clearance I need , I would have just changed the mount to something taller but I like try to keep everything tight to the gun and not sticking out to far