rear sight for a shotgun bead

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by lowCat314, Mar 30, 2014.

1. lowCat314

lowCat314 New Member

hey all, I'm trying to gauge (pun intended) interest on an item I've developed. It a rear ghost ring sight that works with a standard front shotgun bead (not a rib) It's a fixed sight designed spacificly for fast target acquire. Before anyone says " the bead is too low on the bore to work w a rear sight", just know that I've solved this issue. The design works.
    would anyone out there have an interest in something like this?

the LoCat trials

2. RKB

RKB Active Member

Not in the least bit. Useless.

3. lowCat314

lowCat314 New Member

why useless?

the LoCat trials

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

welcome to FTF! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello when you get a chance.:D

5. old fart

old fart Member

i would like to see it

6. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I'm curious to see what would compensate for the bead being positioned so low.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

At shotgun ranges a bead is fast and accurate enough. Lining up two sights takes longer. (Maybe not much longer, but still longer).

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

with a shotgun your eyes should be on the target!if the gun fits you wont even notice the bead or barrel.

9. rifleman1

rifleman1 Active Member

this would work for more stationary targets like turkey or deer if your using a slug deer hunting but for fast moving targets like quail,pheasant and dove i think it would add unnecessary time aligning the sights.only my opinion.

10. RKB

RKB Active Member

This is why it is useless. Just my opinion, of course. YMMV.

11. lowCat314

lowCat314 New Member

so far it's 2 folks curious & 2 folks not. I'm getting a lot more interest from other boards I've posted to.

the LoCat trials

12. Mauserdoc

Mauserdoc New Member

I would personally want to get one designed specifically for slugs if I am using it for deer. And those already have the front and rear sights, just my opinion tho.

13. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Lowcat , are you going to show us what you came up with or just start some internet/forum bickering?

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

When wing shooting or shooting at moving targets with shot the bead is sometimes referred to as the "miss me bead". I was told a very long time ago by a very good shooter that if you are watching the bead you are not watching the bird. Now for slugs a ghost ring might be a nice accessory but it does slow you down.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My shotguns already have two beads. They came from the factory with two beads. I do not use the beads when wing shooting but I do use the beads to make sure I have a solid cheek weld, time permitting.

16. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

maybe you would get interest if you posted a picture.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

LoCat, this group is all about pictures. they like pictures!:D

post some pictures or drawings of your sight so people can get a better idea as to what you are trying to achieve.

18. RKB

RKB Active Member

He is probably concerned - and justifiably so - about someone stealing his idea.

19. lowCat314

lowCat314 New Member

you nailed it RKB, I'm just waiting for my patent pending #, should be about two weeks-ish.
    My design came from seeing so many "tacti-cool" shotguns popping up everywhere. In my Army days my assigned rifle was an m14/21 depending on mission requirements. Every so often tho, (Bosnia in 95) there wasn't much need for x51 so I was assigned the Skeleton Key for door to door work. back then it was a modified 870.. with a bead sight. It worked just fine for our purposes. Now though, with the advent of Much better 12ga ammo, a shotty could, IMHO, could very successfully be used as a short range primary (100M). If one wants a shotgun equipped with a front & rear sight, it's going to cost them. Even an aftermarket "kit" will run you an extra $80 or so + gunsmithing if you want the front post done correctly.
    so, I designed a fixed rear ghost ring to function with a standard bead. It is truly a unique design, very low profile & durable made from polymer resin. And the best part is they'll be selling for about $25 bucks.
    just waiting for the patent info to get back.. you'll see it on the market soon.

the LoCat trials

20. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

How can anyone give an opinion on something that they have never seen and only have a vague idea of what it is/looks like?
    We can all make a guess as to what you are talking about. My guess is a plastic clip-on that snaps onto the barrel. If so I have seen designs that were made in the 50's and 60's.