Really?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Kinetics, May 5, 2012.

1. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Okay so i was at wal-mart today with my mom buying some ammo and we get to the cash register and the man keeps on asking me for my ID, i tell him my mom is buying the ammo and she gave him her ID however he would not sell the ammo to her. . . This pissed me off, because according to the salesman my family is not legally allowed to buy ammo if we are going to go shoot it as a family later on. :confused:

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

What? Your last sentence doesn't make any sense. :confused:

And I just noticed you live in Arizona. Not something I'd expect from Arizona.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, this has come up several times on this forum. They act like the soup Nazi when it comes to ammo, and it does vary by store. The Walmart in the next town over may not be so anally retentive.

4. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Yeah we went to another one and i just stayed out of sight while my mom bought it

5. winds-of-change

Are you under age to be buying ammo? I don't think that should matter if your Mom was buying it but I'm just curious.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never needed to show ID to buy ammo in AZ. His mother should not have had to show ID. A young person might if they appear to be under age but the clerk is an idiot and probably from the PRK. When faced with a situation like this, ask for a supervisor. If that does not work, go see the store manager. It needs to be straightened out on the spot. I have gone to the store manager on 3 occasions for different problems and it has been resolved to my satisfaction every time.

7. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

That's the smart thing to do :)

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

You guys think we're not getting the full story here?

9. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

How are you not getting the full story??

10. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I've got six kids and it's not often one of them isn't with me. That being said, I buy ammo all the time with them with me. Hell I've even bought a pistol while holding my daughter...lol.

11. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Because what probably caused them not to sell you the ammo is, at the first Wally World, your mother had to ask you what ammo to get, and what caliber. This means the sales person is there, you're giving her the information, which, technically speaking, can qualify as a straw purchase, which is a major no-no, and can cost them their FFL and quite a huge fine.
    So, to be safe, the sales rep just refused to sell you the ammunition. It wasn't anything evil or a conspiracy, merely him protecting his job.

12. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

still im just saying since im the only one in my family that knows anything about guns i have to tell them what to get, however we just want to go shooting as a family, and that almost made it so we couldnt, i just didnt like it

13. winds-of-change

I ask again.........how old are you?

14. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

Exactly what is a straw purchase where ammo is concerned?

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We are talking about AZ. I can buy a gun for my wife and it is not a straw purchase and we are talking about ammo which has no forms to fill out.

16. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

As nutty as our laws are?

http://www.justice.gov/usao/md/Publ...nPleadsGuiltytoStrawPurchaseofAmmunition.html

http://www.dontlie.org/FAQ.cfm

Just as a straw purchase of a firearm is a felony, so, too, is a straw purchase of ammunition. Yes, it deals with felons, but let's be realistic. How many people actually know the laws completely?
    It's actually a good thing for Kinetic that the store didn't call the law on this. Yes, they weren't doing anything illegal, however, we've seen how 'swiftly' law enforcement can figure out reality of laws in situations.
    And one more thing? And this is pure speculation. If his mother is remarried and has a different last name than him? That would potentially send up flags as well to a sale.

17. tCan

tCan Active Member

You cant buy ammo for a pistol if you're under 21. Just say, "This is for my rifle." Boom, problem solved.

18. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I jut got a marlin lever action and need ammo next week.. Figured if anyone gives me trouble I'd say this and show them my receipt from the gun purchase.... Problem is people at say Wally world are idiots and don't know that there are handgun caliber rifles out there...

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

19. AZL

AZL New Member

Often, when purchasing ammo, my 8 year old is with me...I have never, ever been questioned, harrassed, impeded, or in any other way slowed down in my ammo purchase (unless you count the time I have had to wait for the monkey with they key to open the case).

I live in Arizona too...and there is no law, local, state. or federal in AZ that prohibits a parent/guardian from purchasing ammo. It sounds like a case of someone ignorant of the law trying to legislate or interpret the law from their lofty education as a Wally World associate.

20. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

When I was 18, I got "carded" for .44 mag ammo. I tried to tell the person it was for a carbine rifle. They claimed there was no such thing....