Really guys.

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by txpossum, Jun 10, 2016.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Arent you ashamed of that POS pocket knife you carry that you bought for $4.99 from the gunshow bin? Really guys, how can you pull it out and use it in front of other people.

Why aren't you as picky about your knives as you are your guns?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That's why I carry a limited edition Spydero Military made of Crucible CPM M-4 steel!

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

It always amazes me that people will buy/carry a knife and have no idea what steel the blade is made of. And it doesn't even have to be one of the new super steels for me. I still like 154CM or ATS 34. I will take 440C. Heck, I even like a good, honest 1095.

I'm a big fan of the tool steels like A2 and D2. One of my favorites is 52100.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

flint.jpg

And it does not set off metal detectors........:D

Actually, EDC is a Victorinox Swiss Army. Used to work for a company with HQs in Zurich- their anniversary presents were usually REAL Swiss Army knives.

5. locutus

They haven't taken the time and effort to study cutlery steel If everyone did study, K-Bar, Case and Buck would have been out of business many year ago.:p

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I don't like Swiss Army knives, as the blade steel is too soft, but, dangit, I almost always carry one as a second knife as they are just so useful. I have a Victorinox Tinker model in my pocket right now, to back up the vintage REKAT folder I'm carrying today.

7. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It's called EVOLUTION ! Our hands have adapted to key-pads and the common task ? Really , sharp edges , pointed objects not worth the risks ? Ban hard , sharp pointed things , think about the children ......! Silly ! :p

Unfortunately , my knife and similar tools earn their keep ! Between camping and life , these objects have become my 42,000 -n- 1 ....they could be anything I see needed at any and all times ! My special tools aren't so special plus the time and miles I save looking for them ! I know where my knife is , my dang pocket ! :D

8. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I always wondered who would buy those junky gunshow knives. Mine are a buck 110 and a victorinox sd in the watch pocket.

Attached Files:

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Everyone should own a Buck 110.

10. weapon

weapon New Member

975SBT
    Auto Spike
    Opinel No. 8 (in case I need to cut open mail, etc.)

11. locutus

And everyone should own a Zero Tolerance 0560 made of Bohler Elmax steel, and a Spyderco Yojimbo 2 made of Crucible S90V.:D:D

12. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Dang, you're a bigger knife snob that I am.

13. locutus

Do you sharpen yours to 15,000 grit, on waterstones, on an "Edge-Pro" then strop on .25 micron diamond compound?":D

Ya get " bitten by the bug" on this just like with guns.;)

All of my pocket knives will dry shave my face. No need for that, of course, I just do it because I can!:)

14. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Being a pocket knife junkey, I have more pocket knives in my gun safe than guns. I have a Kershaw in the garage, another knife in a drawer in the kitchen and one in the bedroom.

My EDC is a Kershaw Volt made of 8CR13MOV steel, which is knife blade steel made up of chrome, molybdenum and vanadium. Good hardness, but may not hold an edge as well as more common carbon steel blades. It has a 3 7/16 blade, a stainless handle with a flipper, lanyard hole and moveable pocket clip.

I carry this as it stands up to what I use it for around the house. I have a couple better ones in the safe and some cheapies that I just liked the looks of. I also have the required Buck that should come out for throwback days!

15. Donn

Donn Active Member

I've found most, (not all), gun guys carry a halfway decent knife as well. I carry two. A SAK I'm never without and one of an assortment of folders I own. While I don't believe in cheap knives, I don't carry anything I can't afford to replace next payday, or is too nice to beat up a little. Much as I'd like a Benchmade Griptillian or Zero Tolerance, these days, it's a CRKT M21-12GD. It does what I need it to do and if it's lost, stolen or broken, there's not a lot of heartburn.

16. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I use the Arkansas stones, finishing up with a the black hard Arkansas stone, then a razor strop. Unless it's a convex blade, I put a very fine piece of emory cloth over a piece of leather, then use a leather strop with a polishing compound.

I wish I had the Edge-Pro, but I have the Lanskey system that I like very much for quick work.

17. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

I like the Kershaw Emerson designed knives. I am happy with them for the price. I have some nicer knives but I keep them in the safe. It seems I never loose a knife or sunglasses I care about but will loose nice ones in a heart beat. I do keep a Spyderco Vallotton in my de-ass to higher ground kit.

18. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

An original Leatherman. Been one on my belt around 30 years (except when I "dress up") which isn't often. I have lots of blades from all over the world but feel naked without the Leatherman. I'm like a lot of you folks, won't carry anything too spendy because if I did that is the one that will end up at the bottom of the lake.

19. locutus

A good knife is like a good gun. Buy it once, maintain it, and it's a lifetime tool.

20. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I don't think I quite qualify as a knife snob, because I don't get into all of the technical specs of each knife. I do know what I like in a knife, and I can recognize some decent quality in a knife. I do actually like Victoria Knox Swiss Army knives to keep in kits, tackle boxes, and vehicles. I do often carry one in addition to a larger single bladed knife. What they may lack in edge holding, they can make up for in ease of sharpening and versatility.

These are my most common carried knives. The Benchmade Emerson CQC7 is semi-retired and I replaced it with the Benchmade Griptilian. The Griptilian hold an edge very well with the 154 CM steel blade. The CRKT M16 series is just a handy shape and size without any real exotic appeal, but it just gets the job done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]