Realistic Accuracy

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by NelsonMuntz, Oct 2, 2007.

1. NelsonMuntz

NelsonMuntz New Member

Given that the movies over time have skewed people's view of what is capable with pistols (revolvers from westerns) as far as accuracy, speed of shooting, etc, lets say that someone was the most accurate pistol shooter in the world, what would their maximum distance be from the target be to where they could shoot the bulls eye over and over (no optics). I am just looking for an understanding of general human limitations that are visible through competition

2. wtr100

wtr100 New Member

how big is the bulls eye?

I saw a trick shooter break a balloon with a 45 ACP revolver (I think) at something on the order of 200 yards

3. Bidah

Bidah New Member

I have seen Bob Munden shoot a balloon with a derringer (almost zero barrel). He broke it first shot, and that was at I believe 100 yards.

-Bidah

4. billt

billt New Member

Bob Munden shot the balloon from 200 yards with a .38 Special snub nose revolver. The shot was somewhat of a trick. The balloon was taped to a much larger steel plate. Hitting the plate anywhere would have broken the balloon with the lead spatter from the bullet hitting the plate. Bill T.

5. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

At the same time hitting a steel plate at 200 yards with a snubnose revolver is no easy task!!!

6. vic777

vic777 New Member

Glock Accuracy

I have often wondered what is good accuracy for a Glock. I think 10 shots (in less than 10 minutes) in a 4 1/2" group at 25 yards is very good (handheld 2 hands no resting or support).
    There are competions for Glocks, I am refering to the GSSF competitions.
    I wish they would add 1 stage where you took 10 shots from 25yds. This would provide enough data and we would learn what "the stae of the art is", we would learn what the best shooters could group 10 shots at 25 yards.
    The Industry seems "afraid" to reveal these statistics.

7. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

accuracy

I am assuming you meant 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes, that Is a fair rate of fire, I never timed myself, but pretty sure I could hit that mark!! I always wanted to put a red dot on a GLOCK and see what I could do, My buddy and I were on a job out in the country the other day, He sighted in on a squirrel at 75 yards ,and droped it like a bad habit, I know it was just dumb luck but it sure looked good, Every time I make a shot like that with a pistol there is never anybody around to see it!!! GLOCK 20 x 2. Rick.

8. crossfire

crossfire New Member

handgun accuracy

Talk to the varminteers and silhouetters. Anyone that can put a head shot on a prairie dog at 150 yards or shoot a clean silhouette round with open sights is not only a pretty decent shot, he's very familiar with his weapon and ammo.

9. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I can drop a 7 round magazine into a 6" steel plate at 50 yards with my Kimber. Accuracy is attainable only through practice.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I can do 8 shots at 25 yards in side of 3" with my Kimber.

Now talking varmint hunting. My longest shot was a ground squirrel at 297 yards head shot with a Ruger m77 220 Swift shooting 52gr Sierra HPBT off of a sand bag in the crook of a jeep cherockee door.

My oddest shot was a ground hog on my rifle range at 100 yards with my 223 shooting 50gr Hornady V-max. One shot strung his guts out for ten feet behind him. The picture below is after i brought him home. Wife got a little upset about that not sure why I had him double bagged in trash bags when I carried him threw the house.

[​IMG]

11. vic777

vic777 New Member

Nope, I'll give you ten minutes. Can you put 10 shots inside 4 1/2 inches as described above?
    (and I don't mean just once, let's say 10 times out of 20)

12. Coyote3

Coyote3 New Member

Hey cpttango30 thats a sweet long gun in your picture. Is it a remington 700 with a custom barrel or something entirely different? Leupold 4.5-14x50 with a rock mount swivel bipod? Any way it a very nice looking rig.

13. gnoll

gnoll New Member

my bro Denis shot a 12" by 12" steel plate at 150 yards with a .357 , .44 Mag , and a .460 i think
    he never missed and he has a vision problem that required brain surgery to stop
    but my self with the same gunz did not do so well i only hit the target like 1 out of 3

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I bought a Beretta Mini-Cougar in .40 S&W 8 years ago because of the accuracy reviews (sub 2.5") that were published in several magazines that reviewed this gun. In fact, at 25 yds I am lucky to put all 10 rds. into an 8 x 10 sheet of paper from a sandbag rest! At a combat range of 7 yds. I can group sub 2". That being said, anyone want to buy Beretta Mini-Cougar with less than 400 rds. through it? I want to buy the Sig GSR .45, the accuracy reviews on that gun were sub 1" at 25 yds...that means I should be able to achieve 4"....

Anyone ever hear of the guy who shot a sniper out of a palm tree in the pacific during WWII from a distance of 500yds.? It was somebody famous I just don't remember his name. Col. Townsend Whelen or somebody like that...

P.S. - Many of you have probably seen this, but here is what a .50 cal. McMillan can do out to 3000 yds.. check out this link:
    http://MAKING_A_GOOD_TALIBAN.WMV

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  15. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

My little .204 gives me the same results amazing what these smaller rounds can do!!!
    Great shot by the way, and welcome to the red mist club!!!

16. azalps

azalps New Member

My FNH FiveSeven is very accurate at 100 yds using a rest and open sights.

17. frank_1947

frank_1947 New Member

Vic777,

Did you really mean 10 minutes I know alot of glock guys who can do that 25 yards 4.5 group in several seconds go to a USPSA match and find some guys that shoot glock that are B, A or Master class shooters, I could do about 20 to 30 seconds with my old STI 40 SW and a 3 inch group I site in at 25 yards

18. frank_1947

frank_1947 New Member

Vic777

One more thing what pulls people of target is trigger pull most competition triggers or 1 1/2 lbs the Master and Grand Master shoot less then a pound all my guns or at 1 1/2, most factory guns or 5 to 7 Glock being in that area most custom gun smith will tell you the first thing to do for accuracy is a trigger job to 3lbs