Real problem/challenge- moving ammo and components across country...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Glockcurmudgeon, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Glockcurmudgeon

Glockcurmudgeon New Member

My health is forcing me to move from Maine to Arizona. Psoriatic Arthritis, with complications. Need to be in hot, dry, and sunny area. Last winter was my last- if I want to keep living...

Was 121 degrees last Friday, and I no longer sweat.

Need to move my powder (51 pounds of Varget) and 15,000 large rifle primers, as well as beau-coup rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo...

How stable is this stuff? Could it go, SAFELY, in a PODS or Pack-rat container, U-Haul, or Ryder truck? When in the military 41 years ago, ammo was shipped in containers to DaNang, and it wasn't climate controlled...

Really need your input on this. Should I send it via a hazmat licensed shipper? I can't afford to sell here, and buy there...

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Varget is a very heat tolerant powder. As for primers riding on a truck I don't think will hurt them.

I would just pack it all into metal containers like military ammo cans. Stuff them with paper so the contents doesn't shift a lot. Then I would place the powder loaded cans next to the back door so incase there is a fire on the moving truck you can get the cans out and away quickly. I would not ship in a PODS I would move it in the moving truck that you are taking.

I would not go through the expense and hassle of shipping it UPS hazmat.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

I would just stick it in a uhaul with the rest of the goods. Long as the primers are in their original containers they are just fine. I prollywouldnt srack the fridge on top of em though....

4. opaww

opaww New Member

I think they summed it up nicely, I am looking at moving to Az. in 3 years I got to get where I can breath easer myself.

5. Glockcurmudgeon

Glockcurmudgeon New Member

Thanks!

I'm much relieved by your experience and insight. Looks like I'll be "okay" after all!

Take care,

Glockcurmudgeon, out...