REAL hero

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Troy Michalik, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

You're a 19 year old kid.
    You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .

It's November 11, 1967.
    LZ (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.
    Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
    You look up to see a Huey coming in. But ... It doesn't seem real because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not Medi-Vac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.

Even after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.
    He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.
    Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.

And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!! Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.

He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died two years ago, on April 20th 2008 at the age of 70, in Boise , Idaho ...

May God Rest His Soul.

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure seen a whole bunch about Michael Jackson and Tiger Woods.

Medal of Honor Winner
    Captain Ed Freeman

Shame on the American media !!!

Now ... YOU pass this along on YOUR mailing list.

Please.

Attached Files:

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

"The Right Stuff" there by God. God speed hero!!!

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Excellent post there, Troy.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

God rest his soul. He was a real man and warrior.

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

6. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I knew nothing of this man until I read this thread. He was indeed, a true American hero.

7. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

I can say the same General. Makes you wonder how man unsung heroes are out there........

God bless him

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

That man is the definition of HERO!

RIP Captain Ed Freeman.

9. GeauxTigersGuy

GeauxTigersGuy New Member

WOW! What a story. For a brief moment after I read the OP I considered using that pic as my avy...before coming to the realization that I simply am not worthy.

10. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Not many people will ever be worthy. HE was a true hero and will always be remembered. Too many people remember April 20th (420) for it's drug affiliation, Hitler's Birthday and the tragic events that took place at Columbine High School in Colorado 13 years ago. With all that negative, it is nice to see someone worthy remembered. Good job Troy.

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Excellent post troy. There are so many stories of heroism and self sacrifice that go untold by teachers and news reporters. This is the first time I've heard the story of Capt. Freeman, truly inspirational and a true American Hero! Thumbs up for posting.
    -------------------------

Here is another story I saw for the first time the other day, maybe others haven't heard the story and I didn't know where to post it. Maybe it fits here.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7968BbMnU&feature=fvst]YouTube - Honor at Last for Roy P[/ame]

Roy Benavidez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Military career

In 1952, during the Korean War, Benavidez enlisted the Texas Army National Guard. In June 1955, he enlisted in the regular United States Army. He married Hilaria Coy in 1959, the year he completed his airborne training and was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg. In 1965 he was sent to South Vietnam as an advisor to an ARVN infantry regiment. He stepped on a land mine during a patrol and was evacuated to the United States, where doctors at Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) thought he would never walk again. Despite serious injury to his spine, Benavidez walked out of the hospital in July 1966, his wife at his side.
    Benavidez returned to Fort Bragg to begin training for the elite Studies and Observations Group (SOG). Despite continuing pain from by his wounds, he became a member of the 5th Special Forces Group and returned to South Vietnam in January 1968. On May 2, 1968, a 12-man Special Forces team was surrounded by a NVA battalion. Benavidez heard the radio appeal for help and boarded a helicopter to respond. Armed only with a knife, he jumped from the helicopter carrying a medical bags and rushed to join the trapped team. Benavidez "distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely glorious actions... and because of his gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men."
    Nearly dead from a total of 37 separate bayonet, bullet and shrapnel wounds received on multiple occasions over the course of the six hour fight between the 13 men and an enemy battalion, Benavidez was evacuated once again to Brooke Army Medical Center, where he eventually recovered. For his heroism, the Army awarded him the Distinguished Service Cross.
    In 1973, after more detailed accounts became available, Special Forces Lieutenant Colonel Ralph R. Drake insisted that Benavidez receive the Medal of Honor. By then, however, the time limit on the medal had expired. An appeal to Congress resulted in an exemption for Benavidez, but the Army Decorations Board still denied him the Medal of Honor. The board required an eyewitness account from someone present during the action, but Benavidez thought that no others were alive who had been at the "Six Hours in Hell."
    In 1980, however, Brian O'Connor, a radioman in the attacked Special Forces team, provided a ten-page report of the engagement. O'Connor had been severely wounded (Benavidez had believed him dead), and was evacuated to the United States before his superiors could fully debrief him. O'Connor learned that Benavidez was alive by chance. He had been living in the Fiji Islands and was on holiday in Australia when he read a newspaper account of Benavidez from an El Campo newspaper. It had been picked up by the international press and reprinted in Australia. O'Connor soon contacted his old friend and submitted his report, confirming the accounts already provided by others and providing the missing eyewitness.
    On February 24, 1981, President Ronald Reagan presented Roy Benavidez the Medal of Honor. Reagan reportedly turned to the press and said: "If the story of his heroism were a movie script, you would not believe it". He then read the official award citation.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The world needs more like him. Sadly we seem to never have enough of them.

13. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Incredible, both of these men, just incredible!

14. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Thanks Gate. Watching and reading these stories and others like them always brings a tear to my eye.

Not worthy to use their pictures? I'm not worthy to tie their boot straps.

But let us not forget the others who served. Not everyone faces withering enemy fire, but they are ALL worthy of our respect and admiration.

15. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Awesome post, Troy.

16. ChuckD

ChuckD New Member

That story should have been on the front page of every news paper in America when he passed :( Thanks to all past and current service for what they do for our county.