"real" guns....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by hawkguy, Sep 4, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

ok....whatever you think....i'm relatively young....

i grew up in the age of cool and black and tacticool....and all of that is good....i have an AR and i really like it far better than i ever thought i would.

BUT.......;)

i like "REAL" guns made of wood and steel. i think i'll always prefer it. while i accept poly guns like glocks, AR's, etc as fine guns....i'll never prefer them over a good solid gun made of all steel and wood.

and the "weight" issue is a non-issue to me. out hunting or toting the gun around...i get it....but i honestly like a real gun with good weight to it....it feels stronger and more substantial....regardless of the truth that polymers are probably far more durable and lighter than most wood stocks.

aesthetics, feel, and function.....when i pick up a nice heavy military or lever gun....i know its for me....a big heavy clunky all steel pitol will always win out over a mostly plastic one in my world...it just feels like a "real" gun to me...that is the best i can explain it.

not there there isn't room for both....but this is my preference overall...

what do y'all think? any feel the same or are more of you more into lighter, poly guns? perhaps you really like both equally? i realize both have their advantages, i'm just talking preference here.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Wood furniture is beautiful.

3. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Wood and polished steel, beautiful.

And no jokes about polishing and wood guy's.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'm with you. I like polymer and aluminum guns, but I will always love blued steel and wood guns.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

qft...........

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on the gun.

some guns just dont look good in wood and some dont look good in poly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i like both. i think jon nailed it perfectly!

8. hawkguy

COMPLETELY TRUE!

but most will have a preference....for example....when it comes to aesthetics and preference....i take a wood stock mini 14 in 223 over an AR. but that sure don't mean i want an AR in wood (ugh)....they belong to the black side....and i like AR's, but if one had to go.....

my point i guess...although i have and like both for various reasons....the wood and steel guns always win out imo. not necessarily for all practicality and function purposes....i just prefer it.

from my perspective, the only aesthetic advantage of polymer IS its ugliness and durability....i tend to baby my beautiful wood guns....the polys sometimes get tossed around or set down in the dirt....:)....sadly, i replaced my wood with poly on some guns to keep the stock mint.....:eek:

BTW....the wood AR isn't near as hideous as that tactical lever.....WTF was somebody thinking on that one?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  9. hawkguy

and i could totally get how someone would like both. i do as well....but i prefer wood and steel in most cases. mostly i just like the look and feel so much better.

10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

It depends on the platform, looks-wise. I much prefer poly & rubber grips performance-wise

Attached Files:

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

If I had to let one go? I would be of the not breathing status... errr.... I like to think I take all firearms as originally designed.... if its wood keep it wood. If its poly keep it poly.... however with the right colored wood I think an ar could look sweet if done right

12. hmh

hmh New Member

Some how it posted on the wrong thread

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  13. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

HUH??? :confused:

14. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I sir like you MUCH prefer wood and steel. Mostly in pistols as what is better looking than a 1911 or revolver with wood grips. Glocks work but are butt ugly. A model 70 in .270 with a blued barrel and wood stock, what is better. Picture a mannlicher stocked 6.5x55 in a plastic stock. UHG!!!

15. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Real guns: Mosin Nagant series, M1 Garand, M1911s, AKs, M14, Mauser 98s, Lee Enfield series, B.A.R., Browning M2, Dragunov SVD, M107, FN FAL, H&K G3, Colt SAA, Thompson SMGs, S&W Model 500, Winchester 1897, Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Browning Auto-5, MG42, FN MAG-58, PKM, RPK,...........I could do this all day!

16. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Not me. Why would I want a weapon made by a craftsman of fine wood and deeply blued steel, when I cold have a fiberglass stock and stamped sheet metal,

17. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I prefer a wood and steel gun unless we are talking about a mid size or larger carry gun. My sub compact (sig 9-938) is an alloy frame gun but my larger gun that I some times carry (CZ p-07) is poly. I used to carry a CZ-85 but the weight of a full sized steel gun with 17 rounds in it was to much on just one side and killed my back.

As for long guns they should all be wood and steel.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

while i understand the utility of polymer pistols, and synthetic stocked rifles, my preference has and will always be polished blued steel and fine crafted wood stocks on firearms.

19. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I'll take wood over plastic any day of the week. Half the joy of owning a gun is how it looks, and how it feels in my hands. Wood and steel are beautiful to my eyes and feel better in my hands. I've had one polymer gun in my life and I didn't like it. I got rid of it and I don't regret it, don't miss it. But on the other hand, those guns are the cutting edge of technology when it comes to weaponry and i don't have a problem with that. I'm just old fashioned I reckon..

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

I only just saw this thread. Funny though, I was thinking of doing one exactly like it earlier.

I'm with the majority who have so far posted here. I understand plastic guns have their place. And I own a couple and don't mind shooting them (hell I love shooting in general).

But steel (preferably blued, but stainless is nice too) and wood will always win out in terms of appearance.

Now regarding the wood furniture on an AR, I actually want one. But I don't want an A2 style stock. I want a collapsible stock of some sort. I haven't seen it done collapsible yet. This one, however, is still beautiful to me:

[​IMG]