Real Courage

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CA357, Jun 16, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

This is from the original "Chicken Soup for the Soul".

On Courage

"So you think I'm courageous?" she asked.
    "Yes I do."
    "Perhaps I am. But that's because I've had some inspiring teachers. I'll tell you about one of them. Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at Stanford Hospital, I got to know a little girl named Liza who was suffering from a rare and serious disease. Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her five-year old brother, who had miraculously survived the same disease and had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness. The doctor explained the situation to her littler brother, and asked the boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his sister. I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, 'Yes, I'll do it if it will save Liza.'

"As the transfusion progressed, he lay in a bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing the color returning to her cheeks. Then his face grew pale and his smile faded. He looked up at the doctor and asked with a trembling voice, 'Will I start to die right away?'

"Being young, the boy had misunderstood the doctor; he thought he was going to have to give her all his blood.

"Yes, I've learned courage," she added, "because I've had inspiring teachers."

Dan Millman

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Most Excellent. Great Stuff right there.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I love that story! I have read that book and it's definitely not one I would recommend any of you tough guys reading in public. :eek:

JD

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Does it have lots of piktuures?

5. CA357

No, that's Dr. Seuss. :D

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Damn.:(

Very touching, though. Sad that many "men" don't have those nads.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Damn construction debris in my eyes .... :rolleyes: where the hell is the eyewash?

Great story ;)

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have read that before and dang it, I have to get up from my computer and clean out the debris from my eyes AGAIN!

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

You read that passage, then realize that this 5 year old boy was willing to give his life to save his sister.

More courage and honor than most adults!!

10. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Amazing, makes me wonder if I could do the same.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Crap dude pollen is out of control had a few bouts of watery eyes today. Just learned that a coworker lost her 2 year long battle with Breast Cancer this afternoon.....

12. CA357

I'm really sorry to hear that Tango.