Read your State Constitution

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by MisterMcCool, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

F999259E-2BB9-414D-8A7C-4C5FAE266AFC.jpeg I learned this at the state assembly Saturday. Firearms regulations may not only violate the second amendment. The state of Alabama constitution includes article 26 that reads “That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.”

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

We are trying to get that done in Iowa (amend our constitution with those or similar words)

Passed legislature this year
    Then has to pass next year
    Then we vote on it

deg and MisterMcCool like this.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

This is what our's say's here in Missouri !.........
    Right to keep and bear arms, ammunition, and certain accessories—exception—rights to be unalienable.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  4. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Do I like that word "exception" in there? Is it stated exactly like that?

MisterMcCool likes this.
  5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I am uncomfortable with the word “certain.”

6. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is Florida’s Constitution on the Right to keep and bear arms.

SECTION 8. Right to bear arms.—
    (a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law.
    (b) There shall be a mandatory period of three days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and delivery at retail of any handgun. For the purposes of this section, “purchase” means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer, and “handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. Holders of a concealed weapon permit as prescribed in Florida law shall not be subject to the provisions of this paragraph.
    (c) The legislature shall enact legislation implementing subsection (b) of this section, effective no later than December 31, 1991, which shall provide that anyone violating the provisions of subsection (b) shall be guilty of a felony.
    (d) This restriction shall not apply to a trade in of another handgun.
    History.—Am. C.S. for S.J.R. 43, 1989; adopted 1990.

There is not a lot to it. There is also a Florida preemption preventing local areas from enacting laws or ordinances that exceed the state’s. I expect the gun grabbers to go after that preemption.

MisterMcCool likes this.