Reactions?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by BeyondTheBox, Jul 2, 2014.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I've yet to have anyone give a noticeable glance or reaction toward me or my pockets when concealed carrying. Actually, and surprisingly, I got more reactions when open carrying my bowie knife than when I even open carried my gun.

That seem odd to anyone else? Any similar stories/experiences?

I mean, printing is just a fact with pocket carry of a gun of decent defensive caliber, even with baggy pants there's a bulge, but when in a holster no one can trek what that bulge is, looks like a dang flip phone or something. Still, a knife on my hip... I was befuddled.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Men are expected to carry knives around here. They are handy tools.

No offense and none taken

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I open carry a lot. I can count on one hand the number of times anybody ever said anything to me, and it has been 100% positive. Outside of those comments, I'd guess less than a dozen times anybody even notices. Only one person has visibly noticed my conceal carry and that was a LEO, but I was in a position that it was a bit more noticeable. He looked at it, looked at me, and that was the end of it.

4. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Times have changed, when I was in High School I hunted in the morning and carried my 30-06 slung over my shoulder into the school and put it in my locker and no one even questioned it!
    Today guns are not allowed anywhere near a school and there are more incidents of gun violence than ever. One would think that thinking people could solve the 2+2= ? equation but no they cannot!
    What they can do is vilify the weapon/instrument and make us law-abiding citizens the villains. The question we should be asking is why so many of our young ones appear to have no conscience and can in their minds
    justify killing their classmates? In my opinion some of it is due to they being desensitized by the overly violent content of some video games. Some of these are so realistic they are disturbing to me and I fear for the children who have access to them

5. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

We had nearly the same experience, school wasnt a place where anything but bad behavior was forbidden. We all carried knives and often enough there were guns in the windows of truck of teachers and students nearly every day (if there was a gun in the rack, you knew there were bullets in the glove compartment). If the weather was nice, a game or two of mumblety peg during lunch! Yes folks, there is a real game that kids played with knives and it wasnt all that dangerous!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblety-peg

Heres the real rub, we had bullies that would pound you but nobody ever did anything assaultive with a Gun or Knife, it just didnt happen.

As far as BTB's original comments, I agree, most folks round here dont get nervous if we see someone packing, this is the country not Downtown Chi-Town!

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

No matter what I've pocket or IWB carried, I've never had anyone notice.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have been carrying concealed just about every day for the last 6 years. One time an old lady at church hugged me by surprise. Normally if I think someone is going to hug me I leave my left arm down over my gun, and just hug them with one hand. I am pretty sure she felt it. I was packing a full sized 1911. But she just smiled. She has known me for about 15 years.

Another time I was gassing up my car. There was what I thought was a gang type person on the other side of the pump. They were being very aggressive toward me for no reason. I think they were trying to scare me. He had finished pumping his gas. But he was making vulgar motions toward me. I was wearing a light shirt that covered my weapon. But a strong gust of wind blew my shirt up. I am pretty sure he saw it because a look of fear came across his face. Immediately he got in his car and drove across the parking lot to pick up his girlfriend that was embarrassed by his behavior.

I am pretty sure those are the only times someone has noticed.

8. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

And yet there are those that only CC for the element of surprise. Many people, including I will OC for the deterrent, which you inadvertently experienced.

9. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Been my experience as well, but I tend to be more in the country. If I tried to oc in tacoma or seattle the sheep would **** bricks. Concealed is the best ootipn in sheepville, even if its obvious, badly printing or partly exposed they dont seem to notice.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Nope. Never had anyone notice.

11. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Exactly...

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Most of the time I conceal but sometimes ill oc if I'm just running in the gas station for a polar pop and I've only had a couple people notice and say anything about my pistol but nothing negative. I open carried in an advance auto store one day and the guy at the counter commented about my 1911. He said, "Ah a 1911 guy huh!"

I've never had anyone notice (or at least they didn't say anything) when I cc. Sometimes my shirt doesn't completely cover my pistol and a little of the holster is visible. But I'm in a very gun friendly area (southern indiana).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014