Re-firing

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hareebrownbeest, Oct 21, 2012.

1. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

Anything dangerous about re-firing a shell that didn't go off the first time? I bought some bulk reloads of 30.06 and 2 out of 10 I fired (or attempted to fire) didn't work. Could you try them again or is this not a good idea?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with giving a FTF cartridge a second try- BUT-

Why is it NOT firing the first time? Is it ammo that has been poorly stored and degraded- a reload with bad primers- or is there a problem with the rifle? Typical easy to fix- dirt and crud in the firing pin channel (clean the gun) lack of lubrication (only takes a couple of drops, but most guns do not do well dry) or is the chamber dirty, and the bolt not fully closing? (clean it)

Question- what do the primers look like? Fully dented from the firing pin, or shallow hit?

3. hareebrownbeest

Brand new gun Remington 770 (I know, I know crappy gun right?) ha ha. I cleaned it good and it's smooth, pin hits seem nice and I was just afraid to fire ammo again.

4. hareebrownbeest

image-1553344687.jpg

Here's a shell that did fire, that's how the pin strike looked. I'm thinking it was crappy reloads although I wasn't absolutely sure. I got 100 rounds for $60. I guess you get what you pay for.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Shoot 'em. But wow, that's lousy stuff!

6. hareebrownbeest

I hear ya! Now I know. I just bought to sight in my scope. I got some Horandy if I'm ever to do some real shooting with it.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Crappy ammo stinks for sighting in. It might get you on paper but you will never get a good group and it wont shoot to the same point as the good stuff.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Those are NOT reloads. They are surplus M-2 ball ammo. It is hard to tell what head stamp the case in the magazine has. It looks like a "67" as in 1967, but the rest of the head stamp is blocked. Post a pic of the base of the case to give us more info.

As the ammo in the can looks bright and shiny, I suspect it was polished AFTER loading. NOT a good idea. Vibratory polishers and loaded ammo do not mix well. The powder can be dangerously altered by rubbing against its self and the inside of the case. Burn rate, normally controlled partially be coatings, can be sped up to dangerous levels. An old dry primer can be degraded and "killed" by the polishing process.

9. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Please be careful of a HANG FIRE!!!!!

10. hareebrownbeest

What's a hang fire? Thanks for your knowledge, I was worried and glad I posted this. I got the ammo at a local gun show.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Pull some of the bullets and check for powder as well. The Ctgs appear to have had the FMJ bullets replaced with Spire point hunting bullets. You need to find out if these are Boxer or Berdan primed and are they corrosive? I hope you cleaned your rifle well after firing these. I would pull the bullets reprime them if they are Boxers and reload the bullets and powder.:)

12. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Hang fire can happen when you get click instead of bang. The primer hit starts the primer, but for whatever reason, the primer starts a slow burn on the powder. The slow powder burn may generate enough heat to make rest of the powder go bang several seconds after the trigger pull.

If you get a click instead of a bang, stay in control of the gun, keep it aimed downrange and wait. Then wait some more. 30 seconds or so will seem like all week, but wait anyway. Do not eject the round immediately, it could be in the process of going bang slowly!

A buddy had some reloaded .50S&W ammo for a very large handgun. Something was wrong with the reloads and we got a hang fire about every third round or so. Most of the time the result was more like a fizzle. It pushed the bullet about 1-2 inches down the barrel and stopped.

The moral of this story is: If you have a hang fire, DO NOT LOAD ANOTHER ROUND! Clear the weapon and make sure the barrel is actually clear.

13. robocop10mm

What you have there is Korean M-2 ball ammo. Generally decent stuff, just not as good as the Greek "HXP" ball.

The acronyms to remember when dealing with Korean ammo is

"KA" Means Korrosive Ammo. Primers are corrosive and the gun needs to be cleaned properly with hot soapy water after shooting

"PS" Means Pretty Sweet. Non-corrosive ammo. Clean in the normal fashion.

14. hareebrownbeest

Wow, thanks for the info! I do clean all my rifles after I fire them. And I will wait that 30 seconds or more if I have any more mis-fires. Thanks a lot again, this is no joke!!!

15. robocop10mm

Remember, your conventional cleaning products will have little or no effect on the corrosive nature of the primers. You MUST use a cleaning method that neutralizes the corrosive salts. Ammonia is reported to be good. Some folks claim Windex works, but there is no ammonia in Windex anymore. It may just be the soapy water nature of Windex.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Hot soapy water works. Balistol was and is used for followup on this type of cleaning.:)

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What are the numbers on the case head? As said, that appears to be surplus, not reloads.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

C3 look closely at the bullets. It is very common to pull FMJs and install soft points for hunting and range use. :confused: