Re-chambering for my Savage 110

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by divarty, Jan 25, 2012.

1. divarty

divarty New Member

Just picked up an older Savage 110 for 200 bucks. This action does not have the accu-trigger but for the price, it can't be beat. This is my newest project gun and I am looking for suggestions on what to rechamber this long action rifle in. I currently have 2-.270 Win. and a .30-06 Ack Imp based on a CZ Mauser action.

Come on guys, throw those suggestions out.

I have thoughts for a .25-06 or a .338-06.

What do you have for me.

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

3. divarty

divarty New Member

the 110 that I am looking to modify is currently a .270 Win. I don't really need a third one.

Any suggestions for the LA? I will gladly taken them.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would suggest the 25-06, because it's a LA caliber like the 270 and the bolt face size is the same also. i have been a fan of the 25-06 for many years, and it's one of my favorite calibers.

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

You do realize that you cannot "rechamber" this gun, but will have to re-barrel it? The choice is yours. You have hundreds of choices.
    cottontop

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I would bet thats what he ment to say.

Guess you want one of the ready to go barrels ?? Not a full on custom barrel? 35 whelen would be a fine rifle. ammo is readily avalible. The 338-06 is coooostly and a reloaders round. 35 whenlen barrels are easly to buy to from adams & bennet for a cheap one to shilen for better barrel and mc gowen for even better.

7. cbibb

cbibb New Member

go to sharpshooter supply and look at there selection of barrels and triggers and stock moneys the limit and these guys specialize in savages and are good as a matter of fact they do proto type work for savage last project that i saw was a 22lr action out of a 10 action this was very cool 12 and 6 oclock firing pins cone breach so you can set head space for any 22 ammo and a 10rd mag or single shot this thing shot like a dream good luck but you might want to think about a 6.5x55 very good cartridge

8. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

25.06 is too much like 270. I would go down to 22-250 for varmits.

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

10. divarty

divarty New Member

Been doing some looking around on Sharpshooter's supply as well as E. R. Shaw and ammoguide.com for ideas. Two different schools of thought. 35 Whelen Ackley Improved or 6mm-06 Ackley improved. has anyone out there shot either of these two improved rounds or have data for them?

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Both are simply a faster round . It is a handloaders cartidge. Just a simple way to add a 100 fps to most common cartidges. I don't load rifles enought to even think about it but if you plan on it then its a great way to pick up some FPS.

12. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

If you want to stay with a long action and get the best ballistics out of a 30-06 length cartridge. I would go with a 280 AI myself. 7mm bullets are long and sleek and give the best downrange energy of the .257-.338 caliber bullets.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Personally,unless you like wasting time and money fireforming brass,I'd stay away from the Ackley Improved calibers.
    Yes,they do pickup a couple hundred fps,but I've never seen an animal in the field holding a radar gun,and they will be just as dead shooting the original caliber.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

TXhillbilly Good thing different people like different thangs ,right.. Try could be no choices for some

15. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

I'd opt for the 35 Whelen if ammo availabilty was an issue.

The other consideration would be the 25-06, but seeing has how you already have the .270 I don't see anything to gain by going to the 25-06. As for the 338-06, great caliber but as far as I know handloading is your only option. That can be an issue if hunting in a location that mandates "correctly headstamped brass."

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That's true! But I've had a couple AI chambered rifles in the past,and the time and money spent just forming brass wasn't worth the gains in overall performance for me.

Different strokes,for different folks!

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

handloading isn't the only option, as Nosler and A-Square both have factory loaded ammo in this caliber. A-Square adopted this cartridge several years ago and started offering factory ammo in it. if you decided to reload, Nosler, Norma, A-Square and Weatherby all have brass for this caliber. all of this is listed in the current Midway catalog. many years ago this caliber had a big following from people wanting a 338 without having to go the magnum route. it is a great caliber and one that i might add to my add to my collection in the future.

18. 75370

75370 New Member

35 Whelen would be my choice.

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Txhillbilly Your right, that for many of use it does take one extra range trip to fire forum with some waisted materials. Its just some of the difference's in the run of the mill shooter and guys that want that little extra. I will stay with my 7mm rem mag but, if I had a range with some distance near me it would be different . The nearest one ,almost 2hrs away closed right after I got up here.

20. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

I wasn't aware of that axxe, thank you.

I can find 35 Whelen at my LGS but have yet to see any for the 338-06 or brass for that caliber. That's not to say that there is none to be had but I do like to consider availability of ammo in case I need to buy something right now.

I will contend that if one is travelling, and gets seperated from their ammunition that it will be easier to find 35 Whelen than loaded 338-06 however. That was the point of what I said but maybe could've said it a better way.

Like you I am considering a 338-06 as well. It offers a lot of potential, in my opinion. :)