Re. 700 30-06 muzzle blast?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 25-5, Jul 24, 2013.

1. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Range 200 yd, covered benches mtd. in concrete.
    Rem. 700 30-06, 168 gr Hornady A-Max Black Hills Gold.
    A veteran shooter 2 benches over complained of the muzzle blast and asked me to move my barrel forward. I did, about 4 inches. I don't think it made any difference since he just seemed to endure the situation.
    On other occasions in the same positions I have used my M1A and Enfield No 4 MK 2 without complaint.
    I am courteous at the range and this puzzled me.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Does it have a muzzle brake?

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

No muzzle break. Just a deer slayer. 35 year old rifle.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have been on the range, bunch of AR and AK shooters. First round from the 8mm Mauser, looks of panic, distress, and "My GAWD whatisthat?

Grin, and tell them "A REAL rifle."

5. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I have had bad muzzle blast from my Savage 30-06, a whopping 63gr of RL22 (highly compressed load) in a 22 inch tube had such a fierce blast I thought it might burn my eyebrows off, no pressure signs though. Slower burning powders seem to make for excessive blast, I don't know what powder they use in Black Hills stuff.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i worked up some loads for my 25-06 using some 75 gr bullets and they were, "warm" so to speak. the muzzle blast in the scope was blinding! the wife even commented at how loud they were compared to the others i shot that day. (some normal 120 gr loads)

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A "Veteran" shooter who complains about noise at a rifle range? Most "Veteran" shooters are deaf, the rest wear very effective ear gear.:)

8. Axxe55

i'm a long time shooter and have lost some of my hearing and do wear hearing protection. :p

9. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Take a Mosin Nagant up there and shoot it. You can feel the blast 20ft behind the gun.

Sounds like a douchebag.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Hey Axx. I never bought good ear gear until I lost most of my hearing. As a man ages not being able to hear the new TV shows and Honey Do this for me, is a favor.:D

11. Axxe55

i hear ya! i call it selective hearing now!:p