RDS Question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sparky17, May 4, 2012.

1. sparky17

sparky17 New Member

A guy I know on the local SWAT team showed me his AR yesterday. Darn guy, now I am really second guessing putting a scope on mine. Those EOtechs are awesome. There is no way I can swing the $400+ for one so I'm looking at other options. I know alot of you like the stuff from Primary Arms, but I would like to buy local (pay cash, trying to pay off cards). I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the Truglo True-Bright. The local Dicks Sporting Goods has them for $100 which would be the limit of my budget. All I have seen on them are reviews on store websites. My son does have the $40 Truglo on his .22 and it works good.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Sparky, my advice would be to use your iron sights for the time being, and save your money until you can afford the EOTech. Believe me, in the long run, you'll be glad you did.

In my younger days, I bought several "el cheapo" optics, and I regretted every one of them.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

OP, what is your intended use for the rifle? RDS sights are great for CQC,HD,and competition. if you will b emostly target shooting, hunting stick with the scope. now that ive said my peace. ive used eotechs before and wasnt thrilled with them. for the cost it didnt seem worth it. no matter how hard i tried i could not get my irons to match up with my RDS. the eotech worked great by itself however. i just couldnt get it to co witness. as far as the cheaper RDS, if you really want an RDS, save money go with the eotech.

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Yeah. Gonna have to remove my PA RDS. Works great. Problem is, local range I go to has determined that a RDS is a laser, and thus, they limit you to 25 yards on the range only. I can't figure out why they think that. Probably explains why there's so many laws against marrying siblings.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Did you try to explain to these jack wagons that it is a LED emitter reflecting off the glass not a laser ?

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Yep. And you could see that glazed expression of the mentally incompetent wash over their eyes.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have this one going on my SBR when I get my tax stamp back , its not a super expensive unit , I think he paid $149 but I have seen them new for $99 . I figure if my dad has had it 4 yr without any issues and stayed zeroed for that long , its good enough for my AR

multi reticle also and very quick to get on your target with , it does take up alot of rail space though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

It is unfortunate, but the old adage is still true.

"Ignorance can be cured through education, but there's no cure for stupidity."

10. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Yup, and the family that runs the range has a terminal case of stupid.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

....wow.

Almost as dumb as our cali gun laws.....almost.

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

......just trying to make sense of why they's limit lasers to 25 yards........kuz its cheating?

you might blind the target?

time to find a new gun range buddy.........

13. AZL

AZL New Member

Here's the deal: SIG STS-081

I "was" a AimPoint Micro guy. I had several of them, and swore by them. I used them on my patrol rifle, and my duty rifle when I was still a SWATTY and before I retired.

I got one in a trade, and stuck it in the safe for a LONG time...several months...and never thought any more about it.

Thenh a couple of months back, I finished a new AR build, and didn't have a Micro loafing around with nothing to do, so I pulled the Sig Dot out.

I mounted it to the top rail, and proceeded to IMMEDIATETLY with NO adjustment, or sighting in, put THIRTY EIGHT out of FORTY rounds into ONE RAGGED HOLE, with two lonely fliers about 3/4" outside the cluster...from 50 meters.

I have since, traded off my Micros and have gone strictly over to the STS-081.

They are less than half the cost, and the one I mounted first has over 1500 rounds through it with NO adjustments, and has held zero like a vise!

If you don't believe me...that's fine...here's the pic of the group below.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Next nearest range is over an hour away.

15. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

So ask yourself, is it worth two hours of my time to get away from stupid?

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good point, Todd!

17. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

It's not only the drive, although I have to deal with that, it's the joining for $350 a year, having to join the NRA, and other piddly fee's that come with it. That, and 'free time' is a luxury I don't get much of. I'm happy to squeeze two hours out of my week to go shoot!

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

of course light emitting diodes are lasers... duh

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

its obvious lasers are evil..................

Attached Files:

• 123.jpg
      123.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views: