RDS Fit?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rccalzadilla, Aug 30, 2011.

1. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

2. Car54

Car54 New Member

It will mount the way it is, or if you want it up a bit higher use a riser. The mount is part of the RDS unit.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

With the rebate that's a great deal on a pretty good RDS. I have two TRS-25s and have had no problems with either. Was afraid recoil would cause the dot to drift but that hasn't been a problem.

If you get a 1" riser you can get a perfect cowitness with your MBUS rear sight and F-marked FSB. I went cheap on two UTG RS10S3 risers thinking I'd replace them with something better but was surprised to see they're tough and hold zero fine. They seem to do the job but I still don't like the idea of UTG on my ARs.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The Primary Arms Micro is a great choice and I like that you can add their riser to your order. A little more money but a better choice. I admit I went cheap on optics, with the intention that I'd move the Bushnell to my "tactical .22lr AR" if it didn't work out. So far I've been pleasantly surprised. And of course I do have BUIS after all! :p

6. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Quentin:
    What is BUIS?
    thanks

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Back Up Iron Sights, like your MBUS! :p

If the cheap RDS fails you rip it off, flip up the MBUS and keep in the fight...

Or you can still look through the RDS tube as a ghost ring.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

RC,

Unless I am not thinking correctly. You just mount it directly to your picatinny rail on the flat top in front of your flip up BUIS rear sight. The screw at the bottom of the unit is the screw that controls the clamping system on the bottom?

9. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Just got my Bushnell TRS-25 from Amazon.
    Totally disappointing since the dot is not a dot but a jagged, red thing.
    Anyone had this problem?

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

RC,

Like most other red dots and holographic optics if the brightness of the reticle is turned up to high compared to the ambient light, it will make the reticle blurry as well as distorted. Try to practice with it inside and out. For example you will need to turn it up for sunny outside work and turn it down for inside ambient light. I know on my EOTechs I like to turn it down as low as I can but still clearly see the reticle when I shoot it for precision shots. Obviously for rapid CQB shots if the reticle is a little bright and slightly blurry it doesn't matter since you are only using it for rapid location of the target area. I think your unit has a rheostat and 11 positions to choose from? My EOTechs have 20 and fire up in position 12 automatically. SO depending upon my ambient light environment I adjust it according to the surrounding light. Now due to practice I do not even have to look at it to adjust it correctly. I just visually gauge the light I am in. You can learn to do that with your unit also. If this instruction does not solve the problem there may be a problem with the lens coating or the projection source in the unit. And in that case being new and under warranty, I would call Bushnell at this time.

11. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Sniper, yes there are 11 positions to choose from. I tried adjusting it for indoor, outdoor, etc. but, the dot is still blurry in all settings.
    Also, the brightness adjustment nut is very hard to turn but, maybe it would smooth out with use.
    Yesterday, at the gun show, I tried other RDS and saw well formed red dots in all of them. Even the cheaper ones.
    thanks

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree with what Sniper said, indoors or in low light my two TRS-25s' dots are blurry set to the highest brightness so I crank them down to 2, 3 or 4. In the sun I have to increase the brightness. I haven't noticed the dot to be worse than other economy priced RDSes but haven't played around with the quality units from Aimpoint or EOTech. When you compared your RDS to others at the show did you have a chance to try another TRS-25?

One thing I've noticed being an older guy, RC - it's important to find the proper corrective lenses for shooting. You get so you need a pair of glasses for reading, the computer and shooting. At least I have. Oddly I don't need glasses for long distance but using irons and sometimes optics, I need correction to line up the sights even though it makes the target somewhat blurry.

13. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Quentin, I did not see the TRS-25 at the show but wasn't looking either.
    I do wear glasses, optimized for computer screen and bi-focal. Uhm, that sounds like that may be the problem. Didn't think to take my glasses off.
    I did ask my wife, who has perfect sight, and she had the same problem.
    Can't think of anything else that may not be working as it used to, though.